Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a sports writer!

MurphNKY,

Does this thread remind you of why you left sports journalism?

Edit: Actually, maybe a more serious question. Do jerks tend to do better as sportswriters? That is, if you were more of a natural jerk would you still be there today?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And...dude...seriously, just because you don't think something is newsworthy doesn't mean that it isn't...get over yourself (speaking of arrogant).

[/ QUOTE ]

But because you do it is? Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I'm saying is this, I worked in journalism for five plus years. I have two degrees, one being in journalism. While I have no doubt that most things are cut and dry as far as newsworthy or not....I would think the things thar are marginal, I would have - with my education and experience - more wisdom than you in determining that.

Is that unfair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another character trait common to journalists that should be evident after reading the OP: a lot of us are seriously thin skinned.

All I'm saying is I have seven years of print journalism experience covering sports and government, both as a writer and a photographer, but that doesn't make me better than anyone else. You seem to think your diploma is a license to talk down to the readers. No wonder people literally hate us.

All the masters degrees and years of experience are worthless of they turn you into a elitest snob who condescends to the audience. I believe it's the main reason why the average person is going elsewhere for his sports news now. They don't trust our judgment, they don't think we're ethical, and they we've lost touch with the average reader. Your responses to the criticisms in this thread, calling people vultures, which you had to see coming a mile away, just shows that you don't get it.

This thread and most of your posts could be used as a prime example of what the average person hates about journalists. They think we're all a bunch of know-it-all, arrogant jerks. Your posts help reinforce that stereotype. From someone still in the profession, thanks a lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Had I brought this on, I'd totally agree with you. However, I don't take kindly to being attacked and told I have no idea about a profession I not only did very well in, but spent four years being educated in a university setting for...so, scoll back and read how ridiculously confrontation some of these guys have been...you may be able to take being attacked well, I - however - choose not too.

Thanks for your input...

And, as a second thought, I hardly think I'm the first to note that MANY times, MANY posters are simply lurking waiting to bombard people with extremely negative responses.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm happy to see OP is just as bad at life as Murray Chass or HatGuy or some other equally clueless journalist.

EDIT: I love how seriously this guy takes his journalism degree, too.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MurphNKY,

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - Not in the least. Had I dealt with this sort of thing, this nature of being attacked...I probably would've followed the guy in BBV4L who threatened suicide last night.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzuuuuuuuuuusss
Old 08-31-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm happy to see OP is just as bad at life as Murray Chass or HatGuy or some other equally clueless journalist.

EDIT: I love how seriously this guy takes his journalism degree, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

It - unfortunately - is posters and humans like you who send people away from here. I mean, aside from this post, do you know me? Do you know anything about me?

Take the personal attacks, the meanness somewhere else..it's weird. Seriously. Who are you?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MurphNKY,

Edit: Actually, maybe a more serious question. Do jerks tend to do better as sportswriters? That is, if you were more of a natural jerk would you still be there today?

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, a great question! So funny you should ask that...I seriously believe that to be the case. The biggest a-holes were usually the best equipped to handle the business. Mainly bc of just being brutalized (as I have been in this thread)..they just can handle it and turn it around quicker than non-jerks.

I think, too succeed, you just have to be thick-skinned, have an attitude of "I'm the best at writing about this" and be able to take criticism (some legit, some totally not legit) from thousands of readers.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 PM

I can reasonably estimate you're mediocre at your job. Maybe not in terms of relative to your other, equally bad peers, but in terms of the ideal of a good sports journalist, yes, you're likely mediocre. How can I make such an estimate? "unquestioned leader of the Reds... redefined the shortstop position... spitting incident." These things should be irrelevant in determining someone's Hall of Fame candidacy. You actually think Posada is not remotely close to the HOF? You don't think Bernie Williams should even be a coinflip to make the HOF? You think Larkin's better than Alomar? Come on now, that's all a joke.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Murph,
Which of the following should make the baseball HOF. Scale of 1-10. 1= Absolutely no way 5= Coinflip 10= If he doesn't get in I will burn down Cooperstown.
Bernie Williams
Jorge Posada
Barry Larkin
Roberto Alomar

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie Williams - 3
Jorge Posada - 1
Barry Larkin - 10
Roberto Alomar - 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Alomar a coinflip and Larkin a sure thing? I thought you were unbiased and knew about sports? I am a Reds fan too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a rough day? week? Just curious..bc, seriously, you need to find some other way to spend your days that attacking like you do. Grow up..

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I am having a fine week. I just think you are coming off as a bit of a douche.

[ QUOTE ]

Alomar, like it or not, hurt himself with the way he went out and his antics - see spitting. So, while I may agree with you that he should be a lock, I don't think he is - at least at first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read the question.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Murph,
Which of the following should make the baseball HOF. Scale of 1-10. 1= Absolutely no way 5= Coinflip 10= If he doesn't get in I will burn down Cooperstown.
Bernie Williams
Jorge Posada
Barry Larkin
Roberto Alomar

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie Williams - 3
Jorge Posada - 1
Barry Larkin - 10
Roberto Alomar - 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Alomar a coinflip and Larkin a sure thing? I thought you were unbiased and knew about sports? I am a Reds fan too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a rough day? week? Just curious..bc, seriously, you need to find some other way to spend your days that attacking like you do. Grow up..

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I am having a fine week. I just think you are coming off as a bit of a douche.

[ QUOTE ]

Alomar, like it or not, hurt himself with the way he went out and his antics - see spitting. So, while I may agree with you that he should be a lock, I don't think he is - at least at first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...you were the first to have what I'm sure you thought was a super-intelligent, hilarious comment to my original answer to the questoin about biggest douchebag. So, in my eyes, you're the real douche bag...I mean, do you get off on that sort of thing? Starting attacks on here?

Again..honestly...take it somewhere else. It's annoying and weird...and you do it way too often.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can reasonably estimate you're mediocre at your job. Maybe not in terms of relative to your other, equally bad peers, but in terms of the ideal of a good sports journalist, yes, you're likely mediocre. How can I make such an estimate? "unquestioned leader of the Reds... redefined the shortstop position... spitting incident." These things should be irrelevant in determining someone's Hall of Fame candidacy. You actually think Posada is not remotely close to the HOF? You don't think Bernie Williams should even be a coinflip to make the HOF? You think Larkin's better than Alomar? Come on now, that's all a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly enough, I never claimed to be anything as far as outstanding or amazing as a writer. In fact, I'll venture to say I was mediocre...and part of the reason I left is because I wanted to be more than I was and knew I probably didn't have it in me.

What I do have, more than you or any of the other 3-4 vultures who can't seem to let this go, is experience. So, when did you write for a major newspaper? When did you cover a college or professional team? When did you ever have to make decisions about what goes in a daily paper or what doesn't?

Give it some thought ... maybe you'll get it. It's not about me...I don't claim to be anything...It's about experience you don't have.

So, yes, I may be coming off strong..but I don't like being attacked, especially about something that you and the others don't have experience or knowledge it.

Seriously...let it go man.