Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: I need advice for dealing with a collection agency. Please help.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty straight forward. Do you remember getting a number of bills from cc company that you didn't pay?

[ ] yes
[ ] no

If no, call cc company. If they continue with the [censored] ask to speak to a manager. Continue upward until you get a firm answer. I unfortunately have dealt with a credit agency in the past and they had a fair bit of info about what the money they were collecting was for (late charges for movie rental from business that went bankrupt, seriuosly).

If yes, then pay them

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't. There has either been fraud on the account, or the bills were being sent to the wrong address, or, something else I'm not thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight....the credit card issuer couldn't find you so they turned over the account to collections *including the address they have on file for you* & the collection agency magically found you??? Is that how it happened??
Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty straight forward. Do you remember getting a number of bills from cc company that you didn't pay?

[ ] yes
[ ] no

If no, call cc company. If they continue with the [censored] ask to speak to a manager. Continue upward until you get a firm answer. I unfortunately have dealt with a credit agency in the past and they had a fair bit of info about what the money they were collecting was for (late charges for movie rental from business that went bankrupt, seriuosly).

If yes, then pay them

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't. There has either been fraud on the account, or the bills were being sent to the wrong address, or, something else I'm not thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight....the credit card issuer couldn't find you so they turned over the account to collections *including the address they have on file for you* & the collection agency magically found you??? Is that how it happened??

[/ QUOTE ]

I will tell you the absolute truth about how it happened. I have not used the card in well over a year. I received no statement that I know of, at any time from the CC. I don't know if they were going to another address, I don't know if my roommates were throwing them away thinking they were junk mail credit cards apps, I don't know if there has been fraud. I definitely was not looking for statements on an account that I hadn't used in months, and which I forgot I even had. I do not dispute that I opened the account, I do not dispute that my address is correct, I do dispute the charges and would like specific information about what I am being asked to pay. I'm no deadbeat, and had, up to ths point, a perfect credit record.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] yes
[ ] no

If yes, then pay them

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will tell you the absolute truth about how it happened. I have not used the card in well over a year. I received no statement that I know of, at any time from the CC. I don't know if they were going to another address, I don't know if my roommates were throwing them away thinking they were junk mail credit cards apps, I don't know if there has been fraud. I definitely was not looking for statements on an account that I hadn't used in months, and which I forgot I even had. I do not dispute that I opened the account, I do not dispute that my address is correct, I do dispute the charges and would like specific information about what I am being asked to pay. I'm no deadbeat, and had, up to ths point, a perfect credit record.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is the case, as someone else has already suggested, get somebody on the phone at the CC & backtrack it until you get to the bottom of it. They (CA or CC) aren't gonna do it for you. It's your credit in question, not theirs.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:21 PM

The debt is already in collections so do NOT contact the credit card company. Do NOT speak with anyone from the CA on the phone and do NOT provide them any information at this time. Forget your lawyerly letter and write a letter to the CA that simply states:

"I dispute your claim. Please only contact me by mail."

Do not do anything else until you get a written response from the CA.