Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2006, 11:27 PM

Default AK, two pair. Raised on turn

Is this just incredibly standard or did I over play at all? The opponent was probably tightish, but only over a few orbits.

As a note, I've only been playing 15/30 for about 10k hands, so some I'm posting stuff that probably seems really standard.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB folds, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (15 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 03-10-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: AK, two pair. Raised on turn

everything is standard. b/c the river.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:05 AM

PREFLOP: Standard

FLOP: I like your flop raise. Once UTG2 bets, there is 13sb's in the pot. If you just call here with the intention of raising the turn, you will allow all gutshots a good price to beat you on the next card. So in this large pot raising right away on the flop is the best move.

TURN: Once the CO raises your turn bet, my first thought is "can this guy have JT?" Does it make sense for him to call your raise preflop with JTs? Yes. JTs is definitely playable in this spot. However does it make sense that he would call your flop raise with JT? Well once you raise the flop, the CO will be getting 15-2 to try to hit a gutshot on the turn, these odds seem close, however the CO also has to fear a reraise from the UTG2 player. If the CO trully is a tightish player, he will not call your flop raise getting 7.5-1 when it is possible that it can get raised again behind him. He instead would fold. So if your tightish read is correct, only two hands make sense for the CO: 77 or AQ. Against this range you are a 2-1 favorite, so 3betting the turn looks like the right play. Once the CO just calls your raise, this is great news, since this means your read is likely correct that he doesnt have JT.

RIVER: This is actucally a meaningless card becuz there is no way the J can help him. At this point, either he has 77 or he has AQ, and if you bet, he is likely going to call regardless. Since you are still a 2-1 favorite to have the best hand, betting the river is the right play, and if he raises, you must call in this huge pot.

Overall, I think you played the hand well.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:26 AM

Preflop is standard.

Flop I like the raise. The pot is big. You don't want to give gutshots the right price to call you here.

Turn, Call me weak tight but when I'm called 2 cold on the flop and get raised on the turn I'm going into call down mode unless my read on the raiser is that he is over aggro post flop.

River check/call
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 AM

Standard.

SGS
Old 03-10-2006, 03:41 PM

Well played. For lack of a cap on the turn you bet the river for value against his probable two-pair that he has overplayed. If the turn was capped I'd go into check-call mode. I can't see the river helping him, given the play thus far.