Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Was this ruling correct

Was playing at the Showboat the other day and a ruling came up that I wasn't sure was right. 2 players left in hand. Both check after the river. Player A puts his cards face up on the table. Player B for some reason thought player A was conceding the hand and just showing, because player A had nothing. Player B puts his cards on the table face down. Player A immediately starts yelling THATS A MUCK, THATS MY POT. Floor is called and rules that the cards are mucked and gives player A the pot.

Now I know player b should have put his cards face up but he seemed like an inexperienced player and honestly thought the other player folded. But the cards were still in front of him and they were no where close the the muck. Did the floor make the correct ruling.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Was this ruling correct

no way is that a muck best hand should win
Old 08-30-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Player B puts his cards on the table face down.

[/ QUOTE ]

was he holding them in his hand?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Player B puts his cards on the table face down.

[/ QUOTE ]

was he holding them in his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

no he put them on the table face down, but they were still basically right in front of him.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:09 PM

I don't think thats a fold then. How big was the pot? Player A sounds like an A-hole.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 PM

If that cards were clearly identifiable, and even no where near the muck as you say, the floor should rule in the best interest of the game - the pot goes to the player with the best hand.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 PM

Why in the world would player B think that player A was folding when he showed his cards after the river went check-check? If the cards were still right there in front of him, he should have just flipped them over when he realized that A hadn't actually folded. If the cards were still in front of him when the floor came by, he should've just had player B turn over his cards and the best hand should've gotten the pot.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think thats a fold then. How big was the pot? Player A sounds like an A-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the Floor sounds like a schmuck who gave a regular a pot and shafted a potential customer who should never go back.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:16 PM

If player B tossed his cards forward, then his hand is dead. If, however, he just picked them up and then put them down, and it was at all ambigous as to his intent, then angler-shooter A openned his mouth too soon and the Player B's hand should still be live (if he turns it over).
Old 08-30-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why in the world would player B think that player A was folding when he showed his cards after the river went check-check? If the cards were still right there in front of him, he should have just flipped them over when he realized that A hadn't actually folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Player B seemed to be somewhat new to live poker. I think the way Player A put his cards down in a I have nothing sort of way and I'm just going to show anyway made player B think he had folded. It really didn't make sense to me either. BUT the cards were still in front of him easily identified.

As to why he didn't turn them over right away well the other player screamed "THATS A MUCK ITS MY POT" as soon as player B's cards hit the table. Player B had no time to react before the dealer was calling the floor and saying not to touch anything.