Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: How many people C-bet this 4 ways?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet with position. OOP I would check.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case, it doesn't matter what position you're in. You're bluffing, and if you get called you go no further, whether in position or not.
Indeed being out of position will get you more respect from weak aces here..

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, but why would betting OOP give you more respect? If another player has an ace it will be difficult to represent AAXX. I have been wrong several times with top two trailing to top set.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet with position. OOP I would check.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case, it doesn't matter what position you're in. You're bluffing, and if you get called you go no further, whether in position or not.
Indeed being out of position will get you more respect from weak aces here..

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, but why would betting OOP give you more respect? If another player has an ace it will be difficult to represent AAXX. I have been wrong several times with top two trailing to top set.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because people understand that people who bluff tend to do so with position. It's usually the button who bluffs.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Yeah, I think it's a C-bet too. The thing is what hands can people really play back with? A good player's not going to C/C or C/R with A3 and as Ribbo stated, AA, 22, and 33 are all unlikely based on PF action. A C/R from 45 is really about all we have to fear here.

I think being in position is an advantage too since 45 might lead out and we got to see everyone check to us on the flop. Just lessens the probability of anyone having a good hand. The one blocker 5 in our hand is also helpful as it reduces the probability of someone having flopped the nuts by 25%.

Obviously, if there was a flush draw out, this would be an automatic check, but on a rainbow board, it's a good spot. I think this is the kind of spot that a lot of marginal winners miss where you can pick up a few extra bucks of value by being observant and noticing when you have a good chance to make a steal based on board texture. It's good metagame too to not always have the goods when you bet into a multiway pot.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good player's not going to C/C or C/R with A3

[/ QUOTE ]

since when do we assume we are up against good players?

I think we get called here by garbage aces a lot.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Yeah, you'll get called by something like A35 a decent amount, I'm not saying you never will. Just that it reduces the probability that will get called somewhat because there are usually some good players in the game.

Also, if you reinforce that behavior and it's not just someone who hits and runs and never comes back, it will pay off in the long run anyway as most of the time when he calls in a similar spot, he'll be giving away a ton of value.

If he specifically reasons out that you're going to take a shot a lot OTB on a dry board, but otherwise won't fire into a multi-way pot, then yeah, I guess he could exploit you, but that's going to be about 1 player in 1000.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 PM

I think the logic for c-betting is more sound if there were fewer players in the pot. One or two, sure, I c-bet this spot frequently, too. Three or more is where I draw the line. Against three players, you're going to get called by those with as little just a pair of aces quite often, from my experience. If the table is playing pretty tight, sure, I can see the c-bet having a better rate of success. But three players have already all cold-called a preflop raise; it seems reasonable to assume that this is a regular splashy game and not a tight game. Assuming that you will virtually always shut down if called, are you really winning the pot enough on the flop with a 1/2 to 3/4 pot sized continuation bet to make up for the other times when you get called/raised and have to give up?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:31 PM

Unless it's a paired or monotone board, I almost always fire full pot. The fact that you're betting that strongly into a multiway pot is going to scare almost anyone off of an Axxx hand although you will get a call from two pair occasionally.

If I was in a really loose-aggressive game, I wouldn't go for a C-bet here, but in a typical game where 50-60% generally see the flop but they play fairly straightforward postflop, it's definitely a profitable play. I'd say it folds around after the C-bet probably 60% of the time. Maybe even a little more.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:12 PM

hmm i think the fact that you say a good player will not call you with a3 here and that you fire 100% of your range here is a contradiction. that said it is probably not a bad spot to bluff.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm i think the fact that you say a good player will not call you with a3 here and that you fire 100% of your range here is a contradiction. that said it is probably not a bad spot to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. it's very tough for an opponent without a straight or a set to play here out of position, even if it's very likely that iggy's bet means nothing. if you don't want to check-fold A3 it's probably better just to bet and take the initiative away (although I like that a lot better if you're the third player rather than the 1st).
Old 08-30-2007, 05:59 PM

I c-bet this every time. On this flop texture you'll win enough pots for it to be +ev