Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Kenneth Foster To Die For Waiting In A Car

Now...it's like...to all the people in this thread who thought he should be executed: HOW DO YOU FEEL KNOWING EVEN THE STATE OF TEXAS DISAGREES WITH YOU!?!

Mb some time for a little checky-check in the mirror.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think what most of you are missing is that a reasonable person would forsee murder as a possible outcome of armed robbery. If you assist someone in the commission of a felony when a reasonable person would think someone dying is a reasonable outcome, and in this case i'd even say probable outcome, then you deserve to burn for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt "reasonable" or "possessing foresight" are common traits amongst armed robbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is exactly what makes them a threat to society for future crimes. Remember also that "seeking the death penalty" doesnt mean he'll GET the death penalty. It starts there as a plea bargaining ploy to get to closer what he really deserves. Thats also why there are sentencing phases for capital crimes. (And despite the L&O joke above, seeking the death penalty for aiding and abetting a capital crime is not at all unusual).

If there are no extenuating circumstances this guy will not even get life.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Wow.

This is really amazing. Texas kills everybody.

This is certainly the correct course of action in this case, but it also makes me wonder if the entire political tide in this country had any effect.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 PM

"That said, any rational human would say that executing one innocent person isn't worth executing 1000 guilty ones. Clearly, innocent people have been sentenced to death as well as executed. See Barry Shrek's project for examples."

Since when are you the arbiter of "rationality"? Where's the dividing line? You have 1000 men guilty of murder. What is the likelihood that if they are released they will kill again? Or kill someone in jail that isnt there for a capital offense? Is protecting the lives of the potential innocent victims of the 1000 worth a .1% potential mistake of executing an innocent person if the probability is .2%? .5%? 1%? (And I doubt that .1% of executions are of innocent men.) Any "rational human being" would say theres a point where its justrfied, wouldnt they?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now...it's like...to all the people in this thread who thought he should be executed: HOW DO YOU FEEL KNOWING EVEN THE STATE OF TEXAS DISAGREES WITH YOU!?!

Mb some time for a little checky-check in the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a complete dick isn't going to win you any favor points.

FWIW, if the guy's not getting the needle, at least he's still going away for a long time. You really can't see how being an accessory to multiple armed robberies, one of which led directly to the death of an innocent person, could make some people think the world's better off without scum like those guys?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There seems to be a good number of pansy-ass, criminal loving pussies here

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if one of us loves criminals here it would be you, given you're taking the approach that will breed more criminals/crime, whereas I'm suggesting the route that is proven to work much better toward the goal of deterring crime/protecting society/limiting the number of overall criminals.

Further, you still haven't, as far as I can tell, answered the serious problem with your approach that I brought up earlier: If things had been run your way for the past 50 years nation wide in the US, hundreds of innocent people would have been murdered by the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Execution after a fair trial isnt murder, whether it was a mistake of justice or not. Hundreds???? in 50 years??? I highly doubt that.

Since 1976 there have been about 1000 executions. Lets double that to 2000 for the last 50 years. and lets say "hundreds" = 200. Your claiming that for every 10 executions carried out, there would have been an innocent person executed? I call BS.

Interesting factoid:

Of those executed, 626 (58%) were white and 372 (34%) were black.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.

This is really amazing. Texas kills everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul hails from Texas. can't possibly support him now.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a complete dick isn't going to win you any favor points.

[/ QUOTE ]And I longeth for "favor points" from kill-happy rednecks. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting factoid:

Of those executed, 626 (58%) were white and 372 (34%) were black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another interesting fact: According to the 2000 U.S. Census, the U.S. is 75% white and 12% black.

Link - http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/c2kprof00-us.pdf
Old 08-30-2007, 03:43 PM

A lot of states have laws make "felony murder" (a death occurring as a result of the commission of a felony) equivalent to first degree murder. This has always struck me as excessive. While I think that a getaway driver in an armed robbery or the like should be held accountable if a death occurs, equating it with first degree murder has always struck me as disproportionate. It seems to me that second degree murder or manslaughter would me more appropriate.