Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 04:42 PM

Default How do I keep playing when losing / during downswings?

The title says it all. I can not continue when I'm losing or getting cold cold cards. I know this is a common problem with no real simple solution but I need some help. Also the biggest piece of advice given to someone losing is to "take a brake". Then I hear about 50k breakeven/losing streaks and I don't know how I could do that. My worst was about a 10k hand downswing and it took me forever to finally bring myself to play through.

Its hard to explain but this is the only thing holding me back from making a living at this. Its not that I tilt, and I've got brankroll management down. Its just that when I hit a big downswing I avoid playing at all costs. Sometimes taking a month off, finding [censored] jobs, and start second guessing myself (I'm not good and it was all luck).

How do you get past the "quit when run bad" mentality and log in the hands day after day regardless of results?

For Example, earlyer the month I had my best day by far. I won 8+ buy-ins in 600 hands and it was right when I moved up. 3k swingy hands latter I am down 1 buy-in from the point I finished on my best day, and I feel like I'm losing and don't want lose more.. So I don't play because I think I'm losing even if I'm still up 7 BI for the week or whatever.

Any help would be great guys, sorry my grammar is so bad. If I can make anything more clear/questions please just ask. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: How do I keep playing when losing / during downswings?

you can go down stakes so you start to win easy to build your confidence or keep playing bad but lose less money

i usually start to read lotsa post, revise my hands and i know that since i do this when im mad, i look forward to it cuz it is in that state that i learn the most, not when im running hot. So when im running awfull, i dont feel like playing anymore i do all sortsa stuff to better my game.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 AM

Don't look at your balance so often.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 AM

spread your money over different sites. I play 200NL, and got about 2500 on one site. If i lose like 1k, i have 1500 but i dont really exactly know what my entire roll is. I have an idea when to move down tho because i can estimate. This works really great for me as im never really sure how much im down.

Im very prone to tilt, and this reduced my tilt greatly.