Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Profit target

Hi guys
First post so be kind. I was wondering if anyone uses any kind of profit targets for their poker. I realise that yes you want to make as much cash as possible thats a utopian dream for many of us. I have been playing for about 18 months and up until about 2 months ago was consistently losing. I would stay up late playing for like 8 hours chasing loses (I only really play sng's) and overall losing. I got down to $2 in my account and decided that things had to change. I decided to restrict my playing to a couple of hours with the aim of winning at least $25 a week. I know its not much but by having a small, realistic target, I am playing better (less scared?). I got up to $100 and now every time I get to $125 I cash out $25. I now have $100 in 'reserve' in Neteller. It seems that winning $25 is realistic and the cashing out really helps my positive outlook. I know the numbers are small but the principals are working for me and I am being far more strict with my playing. I now longer go and play a $10 game to chase the loss - I stick rigidly to the $3 to $5 games. Once i have won a couple on the trot I finish a session. My aim is to get to a total of $500 and then switch up for a while to see how things go. I know its a long post but I would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers in advance
BB
Old 08-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Profit target

Having an weekly "aim" is not helpful. Just play 1000 tables and look at your ROI. Constantly review key decisions. Post hands. Donīt look at the results too early as they may very well be misleading in a small sample size.

First and foremost - if you really lost in a 16 month span playing SnGs - you need to work on your game. Post hands. Post hands. Post hands.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:54 PM

OK thanks. I appreciate that. I have started to print off the hand history's and going through them afterwards. I have read a lot of books but few give advice on interpretation. I can often see some VERY clear errors but if you have some suggestions of really key things to look for I would be grateful. I will search the forum as well though.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 PM

Have a weekly aim like "I am going to play x SNGs to the best of my ability." The $$ will look after themselves.
Always have notepad open and copy and paste hands you are unsure of with reads for review later. Review them and the end of your session and if u are still unsure post here.
Get clarification from people if you do not understand their answer to your posts.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM

OK. Cool. Not thought about the MS notepad thing. Thanks