Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 PM

Default NLTRN video: Decent opponent gets spewy

So I've been experimenting with CamStudio and got a video that I'm finally somehat happy with.

This is me playing a 30+1.50 HU SNG, villian starts off being a decent player then... well, you'll see. Comments on how I played this tournament are appreciated.

NOTE: My recording equipment is sort of primitive (read, I used my headphones as a mic) so my voice is a bit grainy. Also I can be somewhat profane sometimes, I tried to curb it for this video but one f-bomb slipped during the 88 hand near the end. Just a disclaimer.
download
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: NLTRN video: Decent opponent gets spewy

The one hand that stood out was the loose call preflop with 76o (obviously):

Read: Villain had been 3-betting preflop a lot.
t10/t20
HERO 1370
VILLAIN 1630

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero raises to 60. Villain reraises to 160. Hero calls!

Flop: (320) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain all-in 1470. Hero calls.

So I would probably also call the push on the flop with TP against this kind of villain but I am curious about the preflop call. I'm not a poker-math expert so please check me here...

If Hero folds to the 3-bet he is left with 1310 chips (43.67% equity)

If Hero calls the 3-bet and wins the flop he has 1530 chips unless villain puts in more chips. If Hero calls the 3-bet but then folds on the flop he has 1210 chips left. Obviously there could be a lot more options but I chose some simple cases of postflop action.

If Hero wins postflop x% of the time and loses (1-x)% then to have the same equity as folding (1310 chips) we calculate:

x(1530) + (1-x)(1210) = 1310
x = 0.31

So it seems we must win more than 1 in 3 times postflop to achieve a better equity than folding preflop. Was this your thinking preflop? Is my math even right LOL? It just seems like with low unsuited connectors we are marginal in this situation and I would have a tough time making that preflop call.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Ok, on this hand I kind of wish I'd have paused a bit when villain shoved to explain my reasoning behind the loose preflop call with 76.

Reads: Villain is decent albeit somewhat tight. Villain does not raise preflop all that much and suddenly has 3-bet me two hands in a row, also making a smaller than standard re-raise:

In my mind in this hand, a good part of the reason I called is not due to my hand's strength (although in position my hand gets a lot stronger). This is the second hand I've 3-bet in a row. I'm also not going to wait for strong hands to raise my button, and it seems that folding two hands in a row like this invites villain to 3-bet me rather light preflop, which is also part of what I thought was happening already. Of course, villain had a big hand but I can't know this.

Flop call wasn't that hard for me. The only hands I don't want to see are a set (which is not shoving here), 88 (which might play this hand like this), or two overs + FD (actually probably his most likely holding, although I didn't mention this pf). I can't think of any other hand that I'm in bad shape against that 3-bets preflop. Against two overs + fd (Say AhKh) I'm not a big dog at all here although I am somewhat behind, and against an overpair I have 13 outs and it's basically a race. Of course, a lot of times you see total crap here like AK no draw.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:42 PM

76 call was fine preflop because it seemed like he was just getting frustrated (although he actually had a hand). The post-flop call was standard for this level of opponent. I snap-call a huge overbet shove on the flop like that. It's such a donk move and extremely obvious that they either have bottom pair or two high cards that missed. It's one of those psychological things where your donk-opponent is frustrated that he missed the flop and thinks that if he bets enough you won't call with anything but a monster.

Oh and gulon, I wouldn't focus so much on the math for HU poker. It's much more feel and understanding your opponent. You really only need basic math calcs to be successful, and a ton of experience in understanding the flow of a match and betting tendencies etc...
Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 AM

any clues on how to play this? (:
Old 08-31-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any clues on how to play this? (:

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a couple of ways, you can open it in an internet browser with Flash capabilities, or you can download a standalone .swf player. I use Swiff Player as a Flash player.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM

Just download the file to your desktop and drag it into Internet Explorer or Firefox. It will play there.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:13 PM

cant download it :/ meh
Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 PM

brilliant