Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: SofaMart clowns me, what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
I know there's a difference, and I was just being an ass now. I guess my view is just different that I think the 200$ is their way of trying to make up for it too. There's a big difference for the stores between handing out a freebie that costs them a couple bucks and they sell hundreds of them a day, and handing out a free couch that they maybe sell a few of a day, and costs hundreds.

If I was in this situation, I'd be a little upset. I'd just move on though and see if I can use the 200 on any of their couches that I like, or take a refund and be upset for about half an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, there are LOTS of mistakes I could write off and be upset about for half an hour. Selling something I already bought and have scheduled delivery for is not one of them.

I have decided what would make me happy in this situation. This couch was originally valued at $1300, according to OP. I would accept, on the spot, their offer of any one piece of furniture, priced up to but not exceeding, $1300. I think that's fair in the end.

I'm very big on the concept of customer service really being what makes a business. Is the offer of $1300 for a couch they were willing to sell for $700 a little punitive? Hell yes. But when you sell something that already belonged to someone else, that's the price you pay. Plus, you may just keep a customer coming back when you show that you're willing to eat some money to keep them happy.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:12 PM

If you can determine that Sofa Mart sold this sofa for a higher price AFTER they sold it to you for $630, then you can file a suit against them. Hell, contact the State Attorney General. They committed fraud, plain and simple.

Or, you could just meet the store manager out back and beat the [censored] out of him.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can determine that Sofa Mart sold this sofa for a higher price AFTER they sold it to you for $630, then you can file a suit against them. Hell, contact the State Attorney General. They committed fraud, plain and simple.

Or, you could just meet the store manager out back and beat the [censored] out of him.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would definitely be worth it. I'm sure the liability here wouldn't exceed the cost of the $700 couch.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:26 PM

I assumed that somebody put naked pictures of their girlfriend in this thread or something, but no, it's a million posts still about the couch.

OP: Right, wrong, whatever, what are you going to DO about it? Yeah, I'd be pissed too, but that and $5 will get you a venti latte. What are you going to do, get a lawyer? No, you're not. Kick and scream and threaten to call the BBB and see what you can get out of them and make your decision and move on.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This would definitely be worth it. I'm sure the liability here wouldn't exceed the cost of the $700 couch.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the state AG gets involved then the liability goes to the state where they will investigate sofa marts "selling practices". I'd personally put forth the effort to out these guys for their dirty practices because I'd be almost certain that they've pulled this trick on other people as well. Of course I'm a vindictive SOB.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM

It's sad that throwing a temper tantrum is seen as a reasonable activity for anyone over the age of 4, but whatever.

"then the store should do whatever it can to satisfy its customer. "

Remember when they offered him $200? I do. It neatly defeats the "they intentionally sold it to a higher bidder" theory of malice on the store's part, and it's also a good faith and clearly reasonable offer of compensation. He wants more? How much more?

Your answer is, apparently $670. That's more than he initially paid.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:48 PM

ok hopefully this is an apt analogy.

you go to michael vick's dog farm and pick out a dog you want. you pay him for the dog. you get a really good deal even though the dog is undefeated.

then it has one last fight before you take possession and it loses! in a fit of rage vick drowns the dog in a bucket. you ask for your money back but instead vick has one of his associates shoot you in the head.

what now?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's sad that throwing a temper tantrum is seen as a reasonable activity for anyone over the age of 4, but whatever.

Remember when they offered him $200? I do. It neatly defeats the "they intentionally sold it to a higher bidder" theory of malice on the store's part, and it's also a good faith and clearly reasonable offer of compensation. He wants more? How much more?

[/ QUOTE ]

You suck at reading comprehension. The business gave him $200 off the full price of a new couch. F that. You make it sound like they gave him a check for $200 for his troubles. That.. fer sure.. would be sweet. But no reasonable person, like our good OP, would demand that. All he wants is what he paid for. How is that throwing a fit?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:01 PM

My reading comprehension sucks too. I was under the assumption that they were able to sell the sofa full price. However it looks as though they sold it for $630 to another customer. I'd take the $200 credit with no expiration, and get the $630 refunded. Go back later when they have another clearance sell, and tada!!!! you got yourself a new leather sofa.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not one person in this thread has advocated anything NEAR a temper tantrum. You get an F in the reading comprehension part of this test.

The store offered him a $200 discount, not $200. Big difference. $200 cash I can spend elsewhere, like at an honest business, or at least one run by competent people. $200 discount at their store comes off their already marked up prices, and they're still making money on the deal.

I don't think there's any "good faith" or anything "reasonable" about the store's conduct. I'm not taking a $200 discount because I want nothing to do with a company in the future who has already demonstrated incompetence in the handling of my business. At best they're lazy and foolish. At worst, they're not much better than thieves, really.

I only suggested the offer of a couch valued up to the ORIGINAL price of the couch OP bought as a solution that would get me out of the store happy. They held my money until a better offer came around, or they're too dumb to keep their sales books straight. I'm probably not going to do business with them in the future, but that would be a true sign of good faith. Not one that says "we're kinda sorry, here's $200 off that you MUST conduct business with us again to see the value of it".

Do I expect that they would do it? No. But I prefer to start high and see how high I can bring them with me.