Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Why do I argue with the fish?

For the record, I'm not terrible this way or anything. I don't go out of my way to berate them when I get sucked out on and I rarely point out bad plays unprovoked.

However, when they start going after me, I can't help myself. When they call with bottom two on a 4-straight board I was betting with blockers and tell me how bad I play, I just can't help arguing with them. I go into way more strat than should ever be mentioned at the table and hurt my image dramatically.

Why can't I just be like "oops, forgot you had to play two cards" and let these 80/20 fish feel good about how they know so much more than me and must have an edge in the game. I think this is a significant leak and I really need to quit it. I'm going to make it a personal goal that the next 3 times some fish attacks me, I'm going to try to reinforce my loose image instead of arguing strat like a donkey.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Why do I argue with the fish?

I have the same game leak, usually it winds up with them saying something like "well, you have a point i guess" and then i completely regret saying anything and they usually leave within the next 3 orbits. Once a fish realises you're not some idiot just betting away like themselves and you actually know a lot more about the game then they do they feel uncomfortable and often run. I just try to think of the times that I have sucked out on people when i was inexperienced years ago and take it for what it is. As long as you can find a way to keep your cool, im sure you'll rake in plenty from the idiot who will continue to talk.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:12 PM

I usually just try to be nice. If they start to tilt or whine about how good I run or I made some horrible call I just agree with them. And if they say I'm horrible or whatever then just politely ask to start up another table or if they're sitting under 100bb then say something to the effect of "then you should sit with the table max so you can stack me for more money".

If I'm bluffing and an opponent makes a "loose" call on say a 4 straight board or 3 flush and paired board with weak holdings where I feel I represented a better hand, then just say "nice call". It might of actually been a great call, but in general you want your opponents looking you up in those spots and if you tell them its was a great call it will stick in their mind and they will continue to make that play without analyzing the current situation correctly.

Just what I try to do. Sometimes its hard though.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:18 PM

It's not even the suckouts that get to me though. It's the chatter. Like in the 4-straight hand, their two pair got counterfeited on the river, and I ended up winning anyway. They throw out an "OMG, what were you doing!" and I just can't help but respond with "what were YOU doing". I had a great chance to make a save and pretend like I thought I had a straight but I blew it.

Usually, I'm more likely to do it when I shove a huge draw as a 70/30 favorite or something, and someone who makes a terrible call with naked AAxx proceeds to tell me what a terrible fish I am when I blank out.

I can go along with a friendly gambling vibe just fine. It's the angry "ha ha I'm better than you" from an absolute idiot that always gets my mouth to open when it shouldn't.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Not sure why this would bother you that much.

I don't chat very often, but if I do in that kind of situation I'll say a bunch of nonsense to enforce the idea that I'm retarded.

Example: We get all-in on the flop, I have some strong draw, opponent has 1 pair, I hit on river.

Opp - " nice catch fish"
Opp - "this site always rewards the bad players"
Me - " had u on the turn"
Opp - "no you didn't"
Me - "lol yes i did, you have to use 2 cards"
Opp - "you sucked out on the river"
Me - "lol u put in all that on the turn with one pair"
Opp - "I WAS AHEAD ON THE FLOP"
Me - "lol u were drawing dead"
Me - "fish"
Old 08-29-2007, 05:08 PM

I've pretty much gotten to the point where I'l just type in "expert" if I get pissed. The more I type themore pissed I get. If I just type "expert" I start to feel cynical about the game and settle down.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:36 PM

The way this game is, it's soooo hard to stay away from the chat box because people make the most idiotic decisions ever. I used to mix it up with them but found myself doing a lot better once I stopped. And if they think I'm bad for raising with draws that actually have them crushed, let them go on thinking that. Never any reason to correct someone who wants to felt it with top pair and a 7 hi flush draw vs. you because they think you're loose/bad/whatever.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:49 PM

i find that turning off chat is quite soothing. every once in a while if i suck out really bad i'll turn it on to see if i'm getting berated, but that's about it. i would probably choose not to see people's cards when they show as well if i could, even though it's free information.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Perhaps it makes you feel good? Doing it once in while isn't going to make that big of difference. Personally I have a drum set. I highly recommend it for all 6-max omaha players.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM

iggy,

I have actually been wondering the the same thing. I recently switched from SSNL to PLO and I'm having a great time, but the amount of trashtalking/berating that goes on in PLO is just amazing. I play on stars and there is a couple of members on this board who are _constantly_ trying to teach the fish. I really wish they would stick to the "Nice hand"/"I like to gamble" approach.

As to why, I think the constant trading of stacks put some people on tilt. Another factor is that the general level of play is so low in PLO. I try to never berate another player, but sometimes it just mindboggling how bad some people are at this game. I can't even dislike them, I just find it stunning how bad a grasp some people have of PLO.

To sum it up I would like everybody to be nicer at the tables. PLO today is a great game and I think we would all like it to stay that way.