Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: 3/6 B&M Possibly dominated overcards in a big pot

[ QUOTE ]
in that type of game with 3 limpers to me i would probably consider limping AJo preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually limp AJo from early position or the blinds. I usually raise from middle to late. I fold AJo to any raise, even from a LAG. But I think limping after 3 or more limpers might well be better.

[ QUOTE ]
you don't think it's possible BB would 3bet with 77-99 pf? given the pot size, i'm raising the turn. if i can't raise the turn with top pair in a pot this size, i probably shouldn't be in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably could raise preflop with a hand like that. I don’t see him betting the turn with any of those except 77.

While I put him on a big pocket pair because he bet the turn, I lack confidence in my reads. My experience has been that players are so erratic, my reads are usually wrong.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 PM

Ok, here is what happened on the river

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], 4 players, 19BB

BB bets , fold, I call, player behind calls.

I got the river cards I wanted. After the BB bet the river, I figured he had to have AA, but the pot was too big to fold so I called.

Results below in white:

<font color="white"> BB had QQ, other player mucked without showing and I won the pot. I was clearly happy about winning this big pot, but felt I had played all wrong. I hit a long shot draw in a big pot and still did nothing but meekly call.</font>
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
River: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], 4 players, 19BB

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, even reasonable players deserve a little runner-runner suckout every now and again. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

granted, a poorly played hand just makes you feel bad. my biggest beef with how it was played was passivity in relation to potsize. pot size is the biggest indicator as to my aggression level. if the pot size is off the charts, i might make some pretty strange plays with weak hands if it increases my chance of winning by a decent %.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I now have TPTK, but still don’t think my hand is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why the freak did you call preflop and flop?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Background: 9 handed B&amp;M 3/6 game. I have been card dead for a long time in this mostly passive game and folding everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're getting at the idea that you have a certain image, don't bother.

[ QUOTE ]
I get KK, raised, one player points out that I am finally playing and they should fold, but they call anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:14 PM

So, as far as I can tell, unless someone mucked an AJ,AQ,or AK along the way that we don't know about, you would have played this hand EXACTLY the same way on every street if all of your opponents cards were face up.

With the best ace you probably had odds on the pf call (someone could stove this, but it's almost certainly true). With 3+ outs on the flop and the pot laying you 28:1, you must call. On the turn you're getting 15:1 or more and have 5 outs and again can't even consider folding. And on the river, you expertly collected an overcall from a 2nd or 3rd place hand.

This might seem to be a very results-oriented post, but IMHO JJ,QQ and KK were a pretty large part the BBs range throughout the entire hand and thus your decisions should have heavily taken that into account.

Other than your initial decision to call the cap preflop, which is only slightly questionable, if even that, I think you played this hand very well. Of course, you got the best possible result, but even if the river had not bailed you out, I think you were on the right line from 3rd to 5th street easily.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I now have TPTK, but still don’t think my hand is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why the freak did you call preflop and flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a pot this big it can be mathematically correct to call with a draw and then call again even if you hit it.