Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: A Newbie Guide to B&M Small Stakes No Limit Cash Games

[ QUOTE ]
Is this true? Most of the regs tipped like $1 every pot but many others tipped $3-$5 or more on bigger pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

For low limit games, $1 per normal pot is typical unless the pot is very small where it's not really standard to tip. For medium to monster pots, some players stay at $1 while others tip a little more porportionately.

For example, had a recent 4 buy-in pot at a 2/5NL game, guy takes down 2k and tips $25, which is a very good toke. But I've been tipped $10 here, sometimes $5, others $2, some guys still give $1 no matter what. Then the guys who forget you entirely lol.

The $5 for $80 pots though, while certainly appreciated, is a bit much. $2 is considered a decent toke in that spot in most places. I think he meant bigger pots, $80 isn't unusual for 1/2 at all.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 PM

nice post. I wonder if I know you... Im a regular at Sandia
Old 08-30-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Limping in too much is the largest sign of a donator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not disagree more. In passive games, a good player will want to see a ton of flops. Against ultra weak opponents, I'll play any 2 100% of the time in MP/LP. Your post flop skill advantage more than makes up for it.

Obviously in tougher games, you don't want to be limping a ton.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) Limping in too much is the largest sign of a donator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not disagree more. In passive games, a good player will want to see a ton of flops. Against ultra weak opponents, I'll play any 2 100% of the time in MP/LP. Your post flop skill advantage more than makes up for it.

Obviously in tougher games, you don't want to be limping a ton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, imo the largest sign of a donator is calling off a lot of money with middle pair, or top pair weak kicker. Thats the number one thing I look for when I'm getting to know my opponents. Once I see it happen I put a mental checkmark next to them and their opponent. Its likely one of them sucks (and its likely the caller, but sometimes the caller is decent and is just reacting to a loose bettor).
Old 09-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Printed Post. Will take this with me to AC this week to read on the 6 hr ride up,LOL. Great Post.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Beware the Mini-Re Raise

Beware the mini-Re Raise in B&M 1/2 NLHE games.
I've seen many players in 1/2 NLHE games make mini-re-raises with their AA/KK in these B&M cash games. The counter strategy is simply to SILENTLY thank them and smooth call with your QQ using the strategy...no set/no bet. If you get a flop of AQx or KQx.....turn your radar on to detect a possible set over set....
Old 09-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks for this thread, I haven't played live yet. You answer a lot of the questions I thought would be too basic to ask, much appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 11:05 PM

Another thing to note is that in Vegas, cash on the table plays. I once saw a newbie go into his pocket and pullout roughly 1k in cash and bought in for $500(this was at the Wynn which has an uncapped buy in). He set the rest of the cash on the table haphazardly while he waited for his chips. He then began taking his chips out of the rack and stacking them. There was then a big fuss made as to if the cash played because he had it on the table as a hand was being dealt. The guy was totally clueless, as it was his first time playing and only wanted to be in for $500.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing to note is that in Vegas, cash on the table plays. I once saw a newbie go into his pocket and pullout roughly 1k in cash and bought in for $500(this was at the Wynn which has an uncapped buy in). He set the rest of the cash on the table haphazardly while he waited for his chips. He then began taking his chips out of the rack and stacking them. There was then a big fuss made as to if the cash played because he had it on the table as a hand was being dealt. The guy was totally clueless, as it was his first time playing and only wanted to be in for $500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another tip for newbies, don't be one of these [censored] that wants to enforce a rule just for the sake of enforcing the rule.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:14 AM

More great points guys. In retrospect, I agree that I overemphasized preflop limping as an evaluator. Although I did point it out, the wording is poor: postflop callers are much much more profitable than otherwise loose preflop callers.

As for tipping, again, people will tip more than $1, but I feel (especially for low-limit games), that anything over $1 is excessive for anything other than absolutely massive pots. When you factor in a $3 rake + a $1 BBJ drop, there's very little room left for tipping. Opinions may vary, but I feel that $1 per hand is a very generous tip as it is. As you play higher limits, the opportunity to tip larger may increase.