Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to win at $100 NL playing this way?

i think its possible that 54s could win for someone more than AQ AQ can lead to danger while 54 can be played light but when it has a good board itll be able to be played strongly. It depends on the people you play against.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:57 PM

Then play QQ+,AK and 54s. GL
Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM

I think that you are proposing to use this strategy as a "safe"/"cheap" way to get your feet wet and learn how to play the game.

I think that it is a bad plan. You will playing so few hands that you will not really be learning how to play. Plus if you are very inexperienced you will be vulnerable to better players once they pick up on your preflop range. You could end up losing a lot of money depending on the game and your opponents.

If I were you I would pick a TAG strategy and play at a limit where you can afford to lose. You can start off playing weak-tight and peddle the nuts as you slowly get more comfortable with the game. This is a pretty safe way to plan and you will learn a lot more this way than you will with your proposed plan.

Then once you are comfortable at the lower limit you can start to move up.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
explain how? if a 22 misses a board or i hit with a pair with AQ what will i do against people who raise me big. Ill end up folding since i dont have reads. I dont like that position. When i say played strongly i mean can go all in with the hand and not be worried. If im playing hands that can be folded b4 showdown i consider them light and weak which is why i like 54s over AQ. Im not saying AQ AJ KQ AT KJ arnt useful. They are good against people which u understand how they bet and they have a loose range.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh okay, read these forums and you'll find tons of posts with people winning medium to big sized pots with those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt say that those hands cant win big to medium pots im saying that when they only acheive one pair which is most of the time you usually dont get a big pot. with one pair u really cant protect yourself against aggression with no reads.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM

I think i would rip my eyes out if i tried to do this.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that you are proposing to use this strategy as a "safe"/"cheap" way to get your feet wet and learn how to play the game.

I think that it is a bad plan. You will playing so few hands that you will not really be learning how to play. Plus if you are very inexperienced you will be vulnerable to better players once they pick up on your preflop range. You could end up losing a lot of money depending on the game and your opponents.

If I were you I would pick a TAG strategy and play at a limit where you can afford to lose. You can start off playing weak-tight and peddle the nuts as you slowly get more comfortable with the game. This is a pretty safe way to plan and you will learn a lot more this way than you will with your proposed plan.

Then once you are comfortable at the lower limit you can start to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am proposing this as a strategy to use when first joining a game so you can look at the opponents play before playing with a bigger range. I am not experienced with $100 so i wondered how it would do in the long run just for info sake but i wouldnt be using the strategy during the whole session. i know it would be a losing strategy if i played it for long periods of time but im trying to get info on this as i dont have experience myself.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then play QQ+,AK and 54s. GL

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 PM

lol op seems to suffer from the 2p2 leak of severely overvaluing suited connectors. I also think you should move down from 100 nl and invest alot of time in studying if you're asking these kinds of questions. my apologies if this is an elaborate level.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:37 PM

what op is actually proposing isn't that crazy (playing tight when you first sit down and have no reads). he's taking it a little to the extreme but the conecept is good
Old 08-29-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
22-99 and AQ AJ and AT cant be played strongly unless you get a set or with the non pairs 2 pair or better which makes it vulnerable when just starting to understand the table. im trying to have a way where i can have strong cards when im just picking up how my opponents play. I dunno but id rather have 54s than AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

lol