Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Whats the best way to protect your 2 pair postflop & prevent a suc

[ QUOTE ]

I was also playing a sitngo at the same time this hand took place. That could have been a reason why my range was a lil wider than normal preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you're playing multiple tables at the same time, you should be playing TIGHTER, not looser. Part of the benefits for playing multiple tables is that you see more playable hands per hour, so you're less likely to play a suited garbage hand because you're bored.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
22 is included for convenience, but it is much weaker than 55 since it makes fewer straights, and is more easily counterfeited. You may want to pitch 22 and 33 in both limit and NL.

Anyway, if I count correctly, the SSHE list contains 242 hands out of 1326, about 18%. Many of these are playable only because you are assuming that your opponents are so loose, playing 50% of their hands or more. With more normal opponents, you should be tighter in early position.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few questions regarding your response, and the differences between limit and no limit.

1. Your point about playing more suited connectors in NL makes sense. With no betting limits, a speculative hand is more likely to get paid off.

However, wouldn't this also be true when playing 22 to try to flop a set? Why should the list of pocket pairs be shortened, while the list of suited connectors is expanded?

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say that when going from limit to NL, you should get rid of some low pocket pairs. I said that for both limit and NL, it might be a good idea not to play 22 and 33 from early position, even if your opponents are loose. For limit, 44 and 55 might also be too weak to play.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:21 AM

What does "overcall" mean ?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 AM

At first, bad preflop play. why do u call Q4 pre?
and at second, u only call postflop which i very bad play
play more agressiv!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does "overcall" mean ?

[/ QUOTE ]

To call a bet after someone else has already called the bet.

The use earlier in this thread is that the OP called on the turn after player 1 bet and player 2 called.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Whats the best way to protect your 2 pair postflop & prevent a suckout

[ QUOTE ]
How could I have detected this before the missile exploded?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold Q4s in UTG+1. It is trash. This hand is a perfect example of why it is a trash hand. You end up committing too much out of position without good info about whether you are ahead or behind.

Also, once the board pairs the 7s, you only have queens up with a 4 kicker. 3-pair is not a good hand. A donk bet on the flop would have been better than c/c. And if you had deep effective stacks, then you could have check/folded the turn. But being so short stacked relative to the pot meant that you were pretty well priced in to call and hope to spike a Q or 4 on the river because you are likely up against at least a Q-better-kicker most times.

The fact that BB showed up with a 7x isn't the problem here. The problem is that (1) you played a trash hand in EP, and (2) you slow played a very vulnerable 2-pair in EP in an unraised, 5-way pot in which Qx, 77, and 44 are all possible hodlings, as well as even Q7 from the blinds.

To summarize, fold preflop. Bet the flop, but don't necessarily be willing to go all-in on the flop unless you think the guy getting all-in with you has Qx a lot more often than a set. Fold the turn if you had more in your stack.

Did I mention that you should fold Q4s preflop from EP?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:08 AM

hmm, interesting.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks Albert.....You make some very valid points. Thanks for your reply