Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 AM

Default Should I move up or play 6max?

I have been playing NL25 full ring for almost 9 mths multitabling 4 - 6 tables and making abt 4k including bonus.
I wish to move up, however, I am an extremely weak tight player( I even fold AK at first position), by choosing loose and passive tables I just feel like working in a factory. When I take a look at those 0.25/0.5 tables, the vpip and pot size tell me that I can't make any money for my style, so I try to play 6max and trying to be agressive, by doing that I feel like I am gambling a lot. A few questions:
1, Should I move up or trying to play 6max?
2, Does poker tracker help a lot or sometimes misleading you?if pt is useful, I have come across an e-book call poker tracker guide, is it worth it?
3, Is there any book talking abt 6max?
4, I have read some 6max starting hand guide which suggest raising a lot preflop, is it harmful advice to a 6max beginner?
4, Just curious, why are those europeaon sites are so soft
comparing with FTP and pokerstar?( I will never play there) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thx
Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Should I move up or play 6max?

Well, if you are weak tight, then you are probably going to be stuck at the micros forever, because you will be run over higher up. Someone posted an anthology to 6 max a few weeks ago in the micro stakes PL/NL Forum see if you can find that or just read the stickied post.

I haven't played much full ring NL, but i can tell you aggression will win you a lot of pots at 6max, and if you are weak it will cost you alot. If you are going to give 6max a try and you are uncomfortable try stepping down a level. good luck
Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 AM

This might be what you were referring to

http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm
Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM

6-max requires a signifigant increase in aggression. Raise any A or PP from LP and any high A or PP over 5 from EP.

When I was first moving up online I would use the 6-max tables as a buffer for moving up to the next limit. If I could be successful at NL25 6-max, I knew I was ready for NL50 Full Ring. I just kept going up from there.

And dang, stop folding AK from UTG! That's beyond weak. Are there any hands you DO play UTG?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish to move up, however, I am an extremely weak tight player( I even fold AK at first position)

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of what level full ring you play - folding AK in first position is a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
1, Should I move up or trying to play 6max?

[/ QUOTE ]

To me it sounds like you should move down and play 6-max. Get your feet wet at a level that isn't going to be threatening to you, learn the differences in the game, and then, after your comfortable, take a shot at 25NL 6-max.

[ QUOTE ]
2, Does poker tracker help a lot or sometimes misleading you?if pt is useful, I have come across an e-book call poker tracker guide, is it worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have PT if for no other reason that taxes. If you made $4k already you should claim it as income. Properly doing so requires that you tally up all winning and losing table sessions. It is pretty hard to do this without PT.

PT with a HUD can also be helpful for making reads in borderline situations when you don't know the player pool well.

For you PT would be very helpful in helping you get a handle on how you play. From PT you can get things like the XX/YY/ZZ numbers described in the forum sticky as well as stuff like VP$IP, PFR%, and win rates by position. You can even figure out if AK is a money maker your in first position.

I've recently actually come the the revelation that I play much better without a HUD and I don't review hands very much, so I basically use PT for record keeping.

[ QUOTE ]
3, Is there any book talking abt 6max?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. There is a lot of stuff on 2p2 though.

[ QUOTE ]
4, I have read some 6max starting hand guide which suggest raising a lot preflop, is it harmful advice to a 6max beginner?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you don't want to do in a 6-max game is call a lot pre-flop (especially out of position). Because there is more raising in 6-max games, this means that you generally want to avoid open limping. Some people will tell you that they raise all pairs, all suited connectors, A9s+, KQo, and AJo+ from first position in a 6-max game. This sort of strategy is going to get you killed. You don't yet have the skill or post-flop aggression needed to play this way. If you throw out pairs smaller than eights, all suited connectors smaller than KQs, then you have something more reasonable (this is like 7-8% of your hands). As your position gets better you can start adding hands. Stats are overrated - but I would say you should shoot for a VP$IP of around 17% and a pre-flop raise percentage of about 12% (as a not very aggressive beginner).

One of the main differences between 6-max and full ring is that it is often the case that nobody has a good hand (pre and post flop). Being able to pick of pots when nobody has much of anything is essential. It is much harder to pick these pots up when you take the initiative by raising pre-flop.

Lucky
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently actually come the the revelation that I play much better without a HUD and I don't review hands very much, so I basically use PT for record keeping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expand on this? For instance, why do you think going w/o a HUD works better for you? I'm very interested since, as a (pre-Intel) Mac user I haven't found any PT/PokerOffice-equivalent that's available to me. Right now I play home games and play money at FTP, but I'm hesitant to put real money in play online without every advantage I can get, especially if others are using them.

[ QUOTE ]
Being able to pick off pots when nobody has much of anything is essential. It is much harder for your opponents to pick these pots up when you take the initiative by raising pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what you meant, yes?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expand on this? For instance, why do you think

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me preface this by saying I play MSNL (2.4-5.10) on a AP where the player pool is not huge - I know my players.

With the HUD I tend to get too wrapped in playing the player at the expense of the situation.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being able to pick off pots when nobody has much of anything is essential. It is much harder for your opponents to pick these pots up when you take the initiative by raising pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what you meant, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - its easier for you to pick up pots when you are the pre-flop aggressor.

Lucky
Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 PM

thank you so much!!