Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: So awesome that \"playoffs\" started, yet no thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another thought: Something like the Fed EX cup fails the minute people can play a variable schedule.Say Tiger has one year where he just says [censored] itonly plays like 8 events, wins 4 of them. He doesn't win cup, but you'd be hard pressed to find people (save Euro!) who still don't think he's the best golfer. This whole thing is stupid until there's some notion that it's really going to reflect the best player in a given year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids, I'm not sure whether or not you're serious, so I'll just respond as if you are.

First of all, what the [censored] do you even know about how I would judge the best player? If Eldrick wins 4 events and is obviously the best golfer during a year, I have no problem admitting that. I'm not sure why you think I just have some kind of blind Tiger hate.

take for instance this year. He's got five (5) wins, two (2) of which were WGC events and another was the PGA Championship. he's finished tied for 2nd in two other majors and has been contending in basically every tournament that he's entered. He's obviously the best golfer this year regardless of whether or not he wins the Fedex Cup.

but the Fedex Cup is not about identifying the best player, it's just to create more drama during the end of the season, as others have said.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that it will create no meaningful, ratings getting drama if it doesn't.

Also Euro = trolled [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who's the better player of the year? The guy who wins all the majors and no other events, or the guy who wins 6 events?

Or a guy who wins 6 in a row in the first 10, and doesn't do great the rest of the year, or someone who wins 6 in a row the last 6, but didn't do great in the beginning of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously the guy who wins the 4 majors.

Course + course condition + competition
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My point is that it will create no meaningful, ratings getting drama if it doesn't.

Also Euro = trolled [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Tiger Woods plays 3 extra events after the PGA, it will create meaningful ratings drama.

I completely uninterested in the thing am biased towards the opinion that it is stupid, but at the same time trying to give it a chance. Your: it must identify/crown the "best player" take is kind of silly and irrelevant, imo.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because the Players Championship is really a must-watch...

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about this tournament? The course is gimmicky, and it is completely overshadowed by one of the best tournaments in golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate the Players. Hate the Course. You are not alone.

I do like some regular events a lot, though-- Riviera, Torrey, and the old Crosby-- to name a few.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because the Players Championship is really a must-watch...

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one who doesn't give a crap about this tournament? The course is gimmicky, and it is completely overshadowed by one of the best tournaments in golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate the Players. Hate the Course. You are not alone.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care enough to try to sell anyone on it, but I've posted here before that I love that course and tournament. Three great "anything could happen" finishing holes, a great amphitheater-like setting on 16-17, and Johnny Miller. What more do you want!?

Also, the players seem to like it, or let's say I don't recall them bitching about it much, which is generally a good barometer. Well there was one pro a few years ago who was so annoyed by how dry the greens were that he referred to the "browns in regulation" that he hit that day, heh.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 AM

Wow, I had no idea there were people who hated the Players Championship.