Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Gaining muscle / burning fat dichotomy... am I missing something?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Drop this piece of sh it as soon as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to agree. Don't give this guy another penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna kinda agree and kinda not. Atleast find someone to help you squat/clean/deadlift if you can't wing it from books descriptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

well i bought 10 sessions in advance and i've used like 8 of them or something so far

i think next time i go im going to talk to his boss, bleh, i hate being in this situation

i feel like the guy knows a lot but he's understandably reluctant to teach me; though any time i ask him a specific question he does answer it
Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 PM

Frown town man. GL.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i feel like the guy knows a lot but he's understandably reluctant to teach me;

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal trainers are not guardians of temple knowledge-- that is not their value add.

edit: You apparently have two sessions left. You want him to teach you any of the following that you don't know how to do: Squat, Dead lift, Row, and Power Clean. Take charge of your sessions.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal trainers are not guardians of temple knowledge-- that is not their value add.

edit: You apparently have two sessions left. You want him to teach you any of the following that you don't know how to do: Squat, Dead lift, Row, and Power Clean. Take charge of your sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

we've done tons of squats and rows

i will make sure he teaches me dead lifts and power cleans tomorrow
Old 08-28-2007, 11:47 PM

Hi,

Well I've just started the Anabolic Diet which aims to do just what you seek to do: Burn more fat while gaining muscle mass. I'm not sure if this is the carb cycling that Thremp was referring to. You can read all about it on various websites. So far I'm only 2 weeks into it, but so far I really like it. In a nutshell, you eat lots of protein and fat Mon-Fri and eat carbs only on weekends to replete your glycogen stores. This diet supposedly changes your metabolism from carb burning/fat storing, to fat burning. The saturated fats and cholesterol are necessary to maximize production of test. You are suppposed to balance saturated fats and cholesterol with mono and polyunsaturated fats.

I feel very energetic without the constant yo yo of insulin spikes. I have lost about 4 pounds in the last 2 weeks eating eggs, cheese, butter, olive oil and sausage. No, I haven't gotten my cholesterol checked yet, but I will.

Does anyone have experience with this type of diet long term?

Good luck,
Ethan
Old 08-30-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Losing weight requires net -calorie.
Burning fat does not.

this is not true for 99% of people. Unles you are on roids, or young 16 to 20ish and full of testosterone/going through puberty

[/ QUOTE ]
quids
Could you please post an article that states this somewhere.
I am up for reading any article in a fitness mag or website.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not the expert, but here is my 2c.

I just subscribed to Mens Health and am trying to do a similar thing. Lose weight and gain lean muscle mass.
I say similar, because burning fat and losing weight are not the same.
Losing weight requires net -calorie.
Burning fat does not.
In general to gain muscle,
use weights. Your body will hurt and rebuild muscle. It will be a good idea to have higher protien intake, so your body has the tools to build muscle.
To burn fat,
do long fatburning exercises like a slow jog. Optimal heart rate at 65-70% of max.

To lose weight, it is probably better to skip the gain lean muscle goal first. To me this is a psycological thing because it is MUCH harder to see your body toning up as you gain the muscle mass. You might have total weight 170.. and fat of 25% then .. a week later have the same weight but be 23% fat; (a HUGE improvement) but unless you take a body fat test every week you are not going to "see" the improvement. You are much more likely to stick with the program if you went from 170 to 168 in lbs. After you lose the weight it will be easier psycologically gain the weight as muscle .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this whole post basically is like the opposite of almost everything i've read on this forum and t-nation

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you saying ??
losing weight requires a net calorie intake!?! thats nonsense. As far as I can tell that is not possible.
(aside from something like liposuction)

I am guessing this is not what you have issue with, see following post.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
right now i'm ~6'2", weigh ~215 lb, wear 36 waist pants (edit: comfortably, before i got started these were tight on me), bench like 115 lb; i did 3 sets of 10 reps of pullups yesterday with like 100 pounds of assist; military press with dumbbells i do like ~40 lb in each hand or so

cardio i was doing better earlier but i overworked my legs so im letting them heal a bit, staying more on elliptical on off days and HIIT on treadmill on lifting days (just started with that). though sunday i was home not at gym... i went 2.5 miles in 30 minutes with half of that being 8 min splits (broken up) and the rest walking 17 min splits uphill

[/ QUOTE ]
From your OP this information was not known.
I think this was important to know before giving general advice. If you were 280 and a 44 waist size it would be easier for you to accept the advice (think of it as advice to a dids type person ie 60% of americans overweight;25% of them are obese).

As it stands, you are pretty fit (probably in the top 10% of americans) and looking to get into a T nation type body, not trying to get an overweight body into a fit one.

If your body fat is 20%+ doing the 65-70% heart rate slow jog is going to do wonders for fat burning. If you are a weight lifter/body builder with sub 10% body fat you are probably right on the money with the long jog exercise NOT going to lower your %fat. My advice was aimed at the typical 60%, not the top 10%.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we've done tons of squats and rows

i will make sure he teaches me dead lifts and power cleans tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious how this went, and whether you got to power cleans or needed to spend too much time on all the progressions. BTW, on the pull-ups, do negatives.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

quids
Could you please post an article that states this somewhere.
I am up for reading any article in a fitness mag or website.

[/ QUOTE ]

My no research common sense view:

The body metabolizes proteins and carbs before fat calories. The body also metabolizes food calories before stored calories. So this makes stored fat calories last on the list of what the body will be using for energy.

If you dont deprive your body of enough food calories then its not going to burn stored fat calories.

But the process is constant and takes place at the cellular level, so I suppose you could be sustaining weekly caloric intake levels but due to food timing and energy expenditure trick the body into burning fat calories while maintaining caloric intake.

^This sounds like it would qualify as a negative calorie balance though.

Id be interested in reading some articles on this as well.