Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Please Explain the Stop \'n Go!

A few things:

1) It is usually done from the BB against an LP raiser.

2) You do it b/c you expect to get more FE on the flop than by shoving PF.

3) This usually means you are shoving A/I.

4) This means you usually have around 8-10BBs before the hand begins. EX: You have 10BBs in the BB before posting. Button raises to 3xBB. You call leaving you with 6 BBs. The Pot is 6.5BBs (assuming no antes). You shove 6 BB into a 6.5BB pot (around a pot sized bet). They key is, you want to make sure you have around a pot sized bet left when you shove. In my experience, you can get away with as little as a 1/2 pot sized bet and as much as a 2x the pot size bet. Below and above that is pretty bad.

5) While KneeCo's example is a stop n go, I honestly don't like it. He is risking too much for too little by overbetting that pot by so much.

6) It seems reasonable to me that you can use the SNG against a habitual LP raiser who plays well post-flop when stacks are deep. For example, say you are 100BB deep and the button raises. You call in the BB. You call rather than raise because you know he likes to see flops and will call your re-steal light to try to "outmaneuver" you with position post-flop. After you call, you lead any flop.

This is probably more dangerous against a good post-flop player when you are deep however. He may float you or raise your flop bet putting you in a bad spot and costing you more money. But it may be another option for defending your BB if standard re-steals aren't working or to mix up your blind defense.

Sherman

Edit: To mention that KneeCo's example is fine. I did not realize the button had only a PSB left, so his shove is about the perfect size bet. Previous comment would only apply if button had KneeCo covered.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Please Explain the Stop \'n Go!

Point number 4 seems to be the key here which makes good sense to me but in the case Raymer comments on in the archive post you would need to be even more aware of your bet sizes to make the SnG effective. If you raise in EP or MP and someone re-raises behind you need to be aware of the odds your post flop shove (what you have behind) as you are talking about a bigger pot PF.