Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Thinking of moving to New York

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are a lot of friggin hobokeners in OOT its kinda scary. all i know is im 5 minutes from qdoba/panera so life cant be that bad. and i wouldnt say 90% of the people deserve to be hated...cuz if thats the case im probably not in that 10%...

[/ QUOTE ]
I use that 90% statistic a lot, but it's probably not fair. I'm just not a fan of the Hoboken social scene. I think almost all the bars suck (except Louise and Jerry's), and there are just so many more interesting options in Manhattan.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, when someone asked me why i moved to williamasburg, i told them, i'd rather live by a bunch of hipster douchebags then a bunch of frat boy douchebags.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yah, when someone asked me why i moved to williamasburg, i told them, i'd rather live by a bunch of hipster douchebags then a bunch of frat boy douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]
Standard.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really have a set type of place. I hate clubs. I like some lounges. Madame X is kind of cool on Houston Street. My favorite bar in the city is Makers on 3rd Ave. It's just your standard long bar with a pool table and seats. Holiday Cocktail Lounge is one of the few bars left in the city with real history.

I'm not saying it happens every day, but I do see a lot more needless aggression in Hoboken than in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]
ironically enough, that whole row of bars by makers aka tonic, mercury, joshua tree, etc. is b&t frat central. if you don't have a striped shirt and aren't crushing a red bull, you look out of place.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't really have a set type of place. I hate clubs. I like some lounges. Madame X is kind of cool on Houston Street. My favorite bar in the city is Makers on 3rd Ave. It's just your standard long bar with a pool table and seats. Holiday Cocktail Lounge is one of the few bars left in the city with real history.

I'm not saying it happens every day, but I do see a lot more needless aggression in Hoboken than in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]
ironically enough, that whole row of bars by makers aka tonic, mercury, joshua tree, etc. is b&t frat central. if you don't have a striped shirt and aren't crushing a red bull, you look out of place.

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you know this? i thought you hung out at the gay bars
Old 08-28-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, are you saying that Maker's is one of them, or it just happens to be in that row? Because Maker's is like night and day to Tonic. And Joshua Tree is eight blocks away, isn't it?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 PM

check craigslist, you should be able to find places further uptown for around 800 a month. I lived in manhattan all summer, spent way too much money but had a great time. couldn't imaging moving there permanently though, takes waaaay too much energy. no matter what your mood is, the subway will always make it at least slightly worse...
Old 08-28-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

people really still say "b&t"?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check craigslist, you should be able to find places further uptown for around 800 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, in Harlem.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM

I know someone who was paying $900/month to share a 1BR (she had the big living room) on 102nd and Broadway until last month. There are cheap options in Manhattan if you look hard enough.

I agree that NYC's a tough place to move to if you don't know anyone and aren't good at making new friends. But I imagine that you'll meet plenty of people while bartending. You only live once, take a chance while you're young, yada yada. My only word of caution is that NYC is a magnifying glass: when things are going well in your life and you're happy, it's the best place in the world to be; when things are going badly, it's the worst. Don't move here expecting the city to solve your problems.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM

id concur. hoboken is def a frat house with old people.

also be very aware that at night the path runs every 30 minutes...so when you are hammered and want to get home right away you often have to wait in a hot train station for about 15 minutes on top of your commute time.