Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Best Films of the 21st Century

[ QUOTE ]
For another great movie--and another great look at Maggie, then get Irma Veep. Maggie wears a great costume in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked a clip of Irma Veep on Netflix. I'll take your word and Q it but I think the reason she looked so great in "In the Mood For Love" was the languid sort of delicate way she moved (and a thin, thin waist drives me nuts; my friend says I should marry a wasp like insect for wife #3).

Anyway, I didn't realize Maggie was an action star. I'll take the dresses in Dominic's movie over the spiderman type outfit.

~ Rick
Old 08-28-2007, 12:34 AM

Rick,

Irma Vep is not an action movie; in fact, it's a terrific movie about making movies. Maggie Cheung plays herself in the film.

And, Maggie's languid movements are due, in part, to the slow motion used in Mood--but of course that doesn't explain it all.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 AM

For some reason, I have the same problem with indie films. For fun, check out Miranda July's website; it's very amusing.

web page

Just keep clicking on the screen.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason, I have the same problem with indie films. For fun, check out Miranda July's website; it's very amusing.

web page

[/ QUOTE ]
Bahaha, this is awesome and has put me over the edge, I will finally go pick up Me and You and Everyone We Know.

And speaking of American indie films, anyone else a fan of Andrew Bujalski? I wouldn't quite put either of his films in the top ten of the century, but they are very good and unique and, I mean, all his characters talk like, like this, and I, you know, I just like it even though one would think that this would not be something one would like in a, a fictional film.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

web page

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I love that web site...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find the LOTR flicks a hoax. Often terrifically, epicly flaccid, I can see these easily being surpassed in the future. I feel these are very much a wonder of their time, not of all time. These will last until someone comes up with the money to do them again. And that money will be less and less as technology advances. I don't think I've been more disappointed in films in the last 20 years than these, besides any Matrix but the first. I find it hard to imagine that these movies would be more well regarded if their author weren't so subject to cult-like worship and if the technology and scope of the flicks weren't so compelling at the time of their production. I'm confident time will bear me out that the direction in these films was unexceptional and the raves for them were very firmly fixed in their time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put. It's the technological spectacle that takes the viewer on a journey, not the acting or the dialogue at all, which at time borders on embarassing. Overall these films were landmark in certain ways but I am pretty sure in time these will be looked back at as adaptations that thankfully didnt completely suck, rather than as classics.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:18 AM

My whatever in no order would be

City of God
American Pyscho
Memento
Enternal Sunshine
Requiem
Oldboy
Colleteral
Vanilla Sky
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM

I'd have to put The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou on my list, as well as The Proposition.

I don't keep up with what films are popular/lauded by critics, so I have no idea if others are familiar with The Proposition. I just know it because the script was written by Nick Cave. It's "rated R for strong grisly violence." Set in the Outback in the 1880s, it stars Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce, Emily Watson, and more. A man is given a proposition: kill his older (intelligent but murderous) brother, or his younger (mentally disabled) brother will be killed.

In regards to morality, it bears a resemblance to Deadwood in that there are no good guys or bad guys, just a bunch of morally questionable or reprehensible guys.

I'd highly recommend it. Be warned, though. It is extremely, shockingly violent. More so than Pan's Labyrinth.

I'm really bored by Sofia Coppola. I feel like there's a thin line between quiet and boring, and she just falls a little too much to the latter for my liking. As much as I love Bill Murray, I just couldn't get into Lost in Translation. It's possible that I'm just not enough of a cinephile to appreciate the nuances of her craft. Eh.

This thread has reminded me of how slack I've been about renting the movies I want to see. I even own Hable con Ella, and I haven't watched it yet. And Sex and Lucia and Oldboy both looked really interesting, but I haven't gotten around to picking them up.

Making lists like this is inherently difficult because it often takes a little while before a movie's true genius is apparent. Look at how long it took The Big Lebowski to catch on. Didn't that flop in the theatres? And look at Crouching Tiger - when that came out, it was revolutionary, but people who are seeing it for the first time now aren't impressed because they've seen knock-offs hundreds of times in the last couple years. It hasn't aged well, although in this case, I don't think that's the fault of the movie itself. I'm thinking both Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead might make more lists like this in about five years.

I haven't seen Before Sunset yet. I really didn't like Before Sunrise, mostly (I think) because there's something about Julie Delpy that's like nails on a chalkboard to me. I'll probably never see it, and that's perfectly alright with me.

I loved In the Mood for Love, but still haven't seen 2046. It's on the list of movies I must see.

Haven't seen The Best of Youth or Mulholland Drive yet. May have to rent them this weekend.

Knocked Up isn't even in theatres here yet, but I'll hopefully get to see it soon. I'm really excited about this one.

Sorry, this all came out as pretty random. I'd clean it up, but the work day's over and real life awaits.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM

not sure why these movies arent getting any love

letters from iwo jima
adaptation
gangs of new york
station agent
Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My whatever in no order would be

City of God