Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Purposely scratching in 8-ball?

[ QUOTE ]
I have played all over the country, and in many, many, many bars, and this is NOT the normal rule. I wish it was. Its better for the better player.But you are 100% wrong about it reducing the advantage for the breaker. It GREATLY increases the advatage. Lets say you break, and make 3 solids. You know look around and see that from where the cue ball lyes you have no shot at any solid, but could easly run the stripes out. Whats the disadvantage? Some people think because they win a game, and leave thier opponant with all 7 of thier object balls its better then leaving them with 1 or no object balls left. It doesnt matter, a win is a win. So there is no advantage to making balls on the break and not being able to get out. Its actually a disadvantage. If i am playing you, and I offer to spot you any 3 of your object balls to get dropped after the break with the stipulation that I get to choose the balls, and I get the breaks, you will lose ALOT of games without ever getting to the table. Think about it, you will see why. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i see what you're saying, and will agree that for good players it is an advantage. but i think for the average player who rarely sinks more than 1 or 2 balls per turn, automatic open table actually reduces the advantage of breaking, because far more often in a casual game will someone miss their first shot after the break than someone will pick the other color. so i disagree 100% with your "But you are 100% wrong about it reducing the advantage for the breaker", but i agree that if for a very good player it increases the advantage then the point of the rule couldn't have been what i said.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In WV, we played that no matter what balls or how many you sank, it was still open until you complete after the break. So if you sink three solids on the break, it's still open. If you miss a follow-up shot, your opponent could steal your solids. It's a terrible rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're leveling right?

[/ QUOTE ]
In that I think it's a terrible rule? I play APA rules, so no.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you play APA rules normally should have nothing to do with whether you think it is a good rule or not. if you sink 4 balls on the break, you really have no control over how many out of the 4 were solids, so there's really no reason why those solids should be considered "yours"
Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that you play APA rules normally should have nothing to do with whether you think it is a good rule or not. if you sink 4 balls on the break, you really have no control over how many out of the 4 were solids, so there's really no reason why those solids should be considered "yours"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's a good rule because I don't think it's a good rule. Better? What's an opinion, anyway?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people play that scratching on the 8-ball is loss, however, under the world standardized 8-ball rules, you only lose if you pocket the 8-ball and foul the shot.

So, if you just scratch when you're down to the 8-ball, it is just a normal foul and your opponent gets to take the cue ball in hand. If you scratch AND pocket the 8-ball, you lose.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

One minor point to clear up- "ball in hand" doesn't mean the same thing in 8-ball as it does in 9-ball.

Thanks for this post- you made me look it up and find out a BUNCH of rules I wasn't aware of.

World Standardized rules of pool

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, wrong, they are the same thing...ball in hand is ball in hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I edited out that line, you caught the transition.

In 8-ball, ball in hand on the break is different, I believe, but it wasn't something I wanted to point out.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people play that scratching on the 8-ball is loss, however, under the world standardized 8-ball rules, you only lose if you pocket the 8-ball and foul the shot.

So, if you just scratch when you're down to the 8-ball, it is just a normal foul and your opponent gets to take the cue ball in hand. If you scratch AND pocket the 8-ball, you lose.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

One minor point to clear up- "ball in hand" doesn't mean the same thing in 8-ball as it does in 9-ball.

Thanks for this post- you made me look it up and find out a BUNCH of rules I wasn't aware of.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In 8-ball, ball in hand on the break is different, I believe, but it wasn't something I wanted to point out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right Larry, on the break in any league/bar rules/drunk moron pool a scratch on the break in 8 ball requires the ball in the kitchen for the incoming players shot. i must have seen your post prior to edit, sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right Larry, on the break in any league/bar rules/drunk moron pool a scratch on the break in 8 ball requires the ball in the kitchen for the incoming players shot. i must have seen your post prior to edit, sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't even say that! i have played in some games where i scratched on the break and they were like OMFG!! SCRATCH ON THE BREAK! YOU LOSE THE GAME!

they are so adamant about it too.. i hate arguing with someone when you know you are 100% right and they believe the same. people get way too confident about stuff when they shouldn't. rest assured if i say i'm right without a doubt, book it.