Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: *ATTN Winstar Players*

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One dealer failed to recognize that 65 beats 95 on a JJ652 board. She insisted on pushing the pot to 95 and even called the floor when we all insisted that a pair of 6s beats a pair of 5s. I am not making this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which dealer was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet if you asked every dealer at Winstar to identify the winning hand on this board, the majority would get it wrong.

A-K-2-3
vs
4-5-6-7

Board

J-5-7-J-J

If you saw this example and had to think twice, you've no business dealing an omaha game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play a lot of Omaha (mostly online, true, where the computer sorts this out for you and you're more worried about whether AK is good there or the other guy has the pair or the J). Live as a dealer, I might take a pause and make sure everything's good.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm often asked by other 2p2'ers if I'd introduce them to the room, but I nearly always decline unless they have a long and solid reputation with other people I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh... so that's why you didn't answer my PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the guy complaining about the rake and putting together a 20/40 guy, he's a nice enough guy, but he seems to tell some stories. Says he plays a PLO game with Kido Pham and TJ Cloutier. But they won't play at Winstar because the rake is too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dont quite understand what you said here, but I promise you i'm not the guy who told you about the 20/40 game. I'm not asian for starters, but I am the guy complaining about the rake. I've played with Kido plenty. He's totally fear less with money, and he plays for a living. So if a player like that understands the effect of rake, and the insult to higher stakes players when the house wants to abuse the rake, that should speak volumes about the situation.

[ QUOTE ]

Where are you playing this game where the rake is less than $5 a pot? It's either an underground cardroom (where the rake is VERY likely higher) or TJ or Kido's house (in which case I would assume NO rake).
Does somebody playing 20/40 really care when the rake is 1/8 BB? Is that extra dollar really going to make a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant tell you where they play, but I promise you there isn't a rake from the pot. In higher stakes games it's always a time charge, which is what irritated me the most, b/c when you're nine handed maybe they're pulling $175 off the table, but when you get shorthanded nothing changes for the house except they make much more money in a rake game.

[ QUOTE ]

It's just weird that you come along not too long after I had that convo with that guy (couple weeks ago) and nits things up along the same lines. And you just happen to be named "TxRedman". For those who don't know, a rather famous cardroom in Dallas was called Redman's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I used to play there. There were two games, 15/30 limit and 25/50 PLO. I dont play LHE, and I dont play 25/50 PLO. So I'm not trying to recruit players, and players here can tell you I dont respond to requests for an introduction to a Dallas room. And I dont think I'm a nit, either. I played a fourteen hour session at The Wynn last week and I tipped chip runners $15, floormen $20, in addition to waitresses and dealers as usual. I'm also quiet and laid back at the table, and I'm always the one who has the time pot put together before the next dealer arrives. I do what I can to keep games moving fast and I dont quarrell with other players or dealers. That's very un-nitty by my definition.

[ QUOTE ]

A cynical sort of logic would say you're angling to try and get your old high limit players back. But then, you should have a certain amount of loyalty among that customer base, and the games don't generally go that high anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I dont own/run a poker room.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm often asked by other 2p2'ers if I'd introduce them to the room, but I nearly always decline unless they have a long and solid reputation with other people I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh... so that's why you didn't answer my PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As for the guy complaining about the rake and putting together a 20/40 guy, he's a nice enough guy, but he seems to tell some stories. Says he plays a PLO game with Kido Pham and TJ Cloutier. But they won't play at Winstar because the rake is too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm dont quite understand what you said here, but I promise you i'm not the guy who told you about the 20/40 game. I'm not asian for starters, but I am the guy complaining about the rake. I've played with Kido plenty. He's totally fear less with money, and he plays for a living. So if a player like that understands the effect of rake, and the insult to higher stakes players when the house wants to abuse the rake, that should speak volumes about the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're not that guy. It's not really the issue. Ballas complaining about rake is the issue, I'd say. Although that guy seems to be a bit fishy. Says he used to play stud all the time in AC. I responded, "When you were 13?" but I guess he didn't hear me. He can't be much older than I am (30).
Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM

I play 1/2 nl and 4/8lhe often at winstar.... ive often asked the floor to reduce the rake to $3 when tables get shorthanded, and theyve always obliged. i also think the dealers are very good...

hime you gonna be at winstar tomorrow? I know you are a regular there but we've never met, ill be player 4/8, pm me if ur gonna be there.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:53 AM

Since my slide started a couple of months ago, I've been borrowing from Karl. Last week I lost quite a bit of money all too quickly. No amount of cajoling from Karl will get me there when I owe him $100 already. We were planning on just doing Saturdays and playing Omaha, but at this point I won't play LHE there until I fix my broken LHE game. So no, don't expect me there tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why the f#$% is anyone comparing a vegas cardroom to an oklahoma cardroom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they're both card rooms, they both cater to the same people, nearly all the variables are the same, and the difference between the two is a huge discrepancy in terms of quality of services provided?

I think you're the idiot if you propose that we shouldn't compare one card room to another because one is in Nevada, the other in Oklahoma. It's akin to saying some third world country shouldn't complain about tyranny and try to do something about it just because there's a democratic society somewhere else that shouldn't be compared to it. Tell me what the [censored] is wrong with trying to inform players and create a situation that might potentially lead to a better deal for the players?

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

it's apples and oranges. i don't play at winstar instead of playing at a vegas room, i play because it's 1 hour away. they don't have any serious competition, so they can rake what they want.

you think wynn would be that great if they were the only cardroom in vegas?

this is pretty much common sense and a basic business/economic comcept.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One dealer failed to recognize that 65 beats 95 on a JJ652 board. She insisted on pushing the pot to 95 and even called the floor when we all insisted that a pair of 6s beats a pair of 5s. I am not making this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which dealer was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet if you asked every dealer at Winstar to identify the winning hand on this board, the majority would get it wrong.

A-K-2-3
vs
4-5-6-7

Board

J-5-7-J-J

If you saw this example and had to think twice, you've no business dealing an omaha game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which dealer was it?

I notice you seem to make a lot of claims but seemed reticent to answer specific questions.

Just FYI, if a dealer is not confident in their ability to handle PLO, they tell the floor and they get rerouted to another table and another dealer steps in for them. Common practice that I saw in action on Sunday with a dealer who had just returned after a medical leave, this dealer wasn't sure about PLO so the floor plugged another dealer in. I know this happened since I was pushed by the replacement dealer at the PLO table then the other dealer pushed me at the next change.

Of course, that indicates management and staff that strive to give a quality experience and TxRedMan will probably find something else to complain about instead of answering the question that has been posed several times now.

Which dealer was that?

We all have our names on our gaming cards handing on our chests. A good player like yourself is surely alert enough to get the name of a dealer who cannot read a hand, aren't you?

I mean since this was so blatant, you did call the floor so they could find a competent dealer, didn't you?

Do dealers make mistakes, yep, just like poker players do.

Dealer Guy

One player to a hand and one dealer to a table.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 AM

live poker sucks period, but they do have a really huge chunk of the dallas market

TX RED MAN, ever went to chocktaw?