Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: The American \"Obesity Epidemic?\"

[ QUOTE ]
ummmm.... check out The Diet Myth on Amazon and follow it to the source documents

It's pretty standard stuff. None of the comments are outlandish. The obesity epidemic killing off hundreds of thousands of americans is outlandish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being fat is healthier than being thin is asinine and wrong. Your argument sucks. I think most everyone knows that being sedentary is bad news.

Fatties would do better to pick up a diet and stay on it forever. I think most everyone who posts on this board is a on a diet permanently.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:52 PM

you're wrong....read up on the science

There is no study that shows 'fatties' picking up a diet and staying on it forever leads to a longer lifespan. There is plenty of evidence to show that in 95%+ of the cases, it's really bad as only a very tiny number of people can live on a diet permanently and the yo-yo back up (even if it is just once) will reduce lifespan (see research by Dr. Paul Ernsberger). The call to diet has been around for quite some time now and has, unsurprisingly, made the country fatter as those who yo-yo (even once) end up at a heavier 'set point.'

Here is a summary of the science so far (quoting Jon Robison, professor at Michigan State University):
[ QUOTE ]

1. The claims that more-than-average weight causes poor health and premature death, and that weight loss leads to improved health are not supported by the medical literature.
2. Weight loss is not at present a sustainable outcome for the vast majority of people.
3. There is considerable evidence that promoting weight loss does more harm than good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, check out his website

Alot of what we, as a society, think we know is quite far from the mark.

Good luck staying on a permanent diet. If you're one of the few, at least you'll look good naked. But, there is nothing to suggest you'll live longer. Plus, most who try will fail and there is evidence that says that will have a very harmful effect.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weights, BMIs, etc have been found to have just about no relation whatsoever to longevity and proneness to diseases.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weight and BMI are poor measures of obesity, DUCY?

[ QUOTE ]
1. The claims that more-than-average weight causes poor health and premature death, and that weight loss leads to improved health are not supported by the medical literature.
2. Weight loss is not at present a sustainable outcome for the vast majority of people.
3. There is considerable evidence that promoting weight loss does more harm than good.

[/ QUOTE ]
So the majority of the American public, whose stupidity and laziness led to its obesity, is too stupid and lazy to diet correctly? Go figure.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 PM

MT2R,

Umm... You're speaking about generalities and averages. No one cares what the other 100 fat people do. If you are overweight and lose it, you'll be healthier than if you don't.

Maybe you'd want to read up on this illness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes

Perhaps you'll see why losing weight is better than being fat.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The call to diet has been around for quite some time now and has, unsurprisingly, made the country fatter as those who yo-yo (even once) end up at a heavier 'set point.'

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly think the call to diet is what has made America fatter?

I mean, I can understand arguments that say diet fads are overall -EV. But I don't think anyone here is saying you have to eat nothing but lean meats, veggies, nuts, and good fats to be healthy. But you can make major gains just by being reasonable. That's not a fad. It's just smart eating.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here is a summary of the science so far (quoting Jon Robison, professor at Michigan State University):
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2. The vast majority of people follow a piece of sh it program that is designed to fail. No wonder its not a sustainable outcome.

3. Thats because most of the people promoting these "weight loss" programs are only promoting their own get rich scheme.

I think you and Themp have a different idea of what "diet" is. From your posts its seems you consider diet a dirty word. What I think Thremp meant by picking a diet and sticking with it for life was not to pick one of these fadish diets, but to design a well balanced diet with enough flexibility in it that it is fairly easy to stick to for life.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are overweight and lose it, you'll be healthier than if you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is nothing in the medical literature to support that
Old 08-27-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you and Themp have a different idea of what "diet" is. From your posts its seems you consider diet a dirty word. What I think Thremp meant by picking a diet and sticking with it for life was not to pick one of these fadish diets, but to design a well balanced diet with enough flexibility in it that it is fairly easy to stick to for life.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "diet" I mean an active selection of what you put in your mouth. That is your "diet". I am on a "diet". What I eat doesn't occur because the package was shiny or it just happened to be around. I thought about it, weighed the utility of it, and then ate it or not.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The call to diet has been around for quite some time now and has, unsurprisingly, made the country fatter as those who yo-yo (even once) end up at a heavier 'set point.'

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly think the call to diet is what has made America fatter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is a contributing factor as the focus has been on diet for weight loss rather than healthy, balanced eating.

Weight loss is a terrible goal and hurts in so many ways.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 PM

MyTurn2Raise- You're touting tremendously absurd fat acceptance junk science. There's a ridiculous "pro-fat" lobby out there that is I can only assume in bed with the agribusiness lobby or something. It's all garbage.

And anyway, as someone noted early, it's not "overweight" people who are the problem. It's "morbidly obese". kidcolin's hypothetical like 5'11" 210 office working dude who maybe eats fast food twice a week and drinks too much pop and/or beer is nothing. Maybe he isn't as good as basketball as he could be, but he isn't the problem. The problem is the sedentary porkers for whom eating a healthy meal would be an anomaly and who take the elevator to the second floor.

You can eat too much. You can eat like [censored]. And you can be sedentary. You just can't be all three, because then you're stealing my tax dollars.