Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Player has two cards different from deck in play, big pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, get real, how could no one at the table have noticed this? Doesn't it seem a little strange that SB got 2 cards of a different color? There just happened to be 2 cards of the wrong color in the deck, and those 2 cards just happened to be dealt to the same player? This whole thing sounds very weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

One possibility is that if using a shufflemaster, the dealer didn't collect the cards from the player from the previous hand. i would expect that there is a extra hand floating around somewhere.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:40 PM

Roberts Rules of Poker
General Rules
Irregularities

3. If a card with a different color back appears during a hand, all action is void and all chips in the pot are returned to the respective bettors. If a card with a different color back is discovered in the stub, all action stands.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:45 PM

The table had a shufflemaster that shuffled one deck while the other deck was in play. SB was standing up, talking on his cell phone and not paying attention. When he sat down, there were 2 cards in front of him and he thought they were from the new deal. MP was on the other side of the table and could not see the color of the cards in SB's hand. No one at the table noticed the mistake until the river.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 PM

Default The Floor Ruling:

The floor ruled that the SB's hand was dead and the pot was rewarded to MP, the only player left with live cards.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The table had a shufflemaster that shuffled one deck while the other deck was in play. SB was standing up, talking on his cell phone and not paying attention. When he sat down, there were 2 cards in front of him and he thought they were from the new deal. MP was on the other side of the table and could not see the color of the cards in SB's hand. No one at the table noticed the mistake until the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, as I understand it:

* SB was actually dealt out of the current hand (but still posted the SB (?!?))
* however, SB hadn't returned his cards from the previous hand
* therefore, everybody had 2 cards -- but SB's cards were actually held over from the previous deal
* no one noticed or said anything
* the red light and "Missing 2 Cards" message on the Shufflemaster didn't clue anyone in
* betting proceeds aggressively on all streets
* hand proceeds to showdown, at which point SB suddenly discovers he has a fouled hand, and presumably wants all action voided and his money returned

This, to me, sounds like a textbook example of a guy trying to take advantage of a fouled hand to get a freeroll.

That being the case, my call would be "dead hand".

q/q
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: The Floor Ruling:

[ QUOTE ]
The floor ruled that the SB's hand was dead and the pot was rewarded to MP, the only player left with live cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Retarded ruling and really points out how inconsistent floors are across different venues. What possible justification could he have had to giving MP all the money from players that were in the pot earlier?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, as I understand it:

* SB was actually dealt out of the current hand (but still posted the SB (?!?))
* however, SB hadn't returned his cards from the previous hand
* therefore, everybody had 2 cards -- but SB's cards were actually held over from the previous deal
* no one noticed or said anything
* the red light and "Missing 2 Cards" message on the Shufflemaster didn't clue anyone in
* betting proceeds aggressively on all streets
* hand proceeds to showdown, at which point SB suddenly discovers he has a fouled hand, and presumably wants all action voided and his money returned

This, to me, sounds like a textbook example of a guy trying to take advantage of a fouled hand to get a freeroll.

That being the case, my call would be "dead hand".

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you understanding is perfect. I can't help but wondering if the SB had the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and if he would have 'noticed' that he had the same two cards as his last hand if it hadn't hit the board.

And a separate kick-to-the-nuts to the dealer who dealt out the SB, took his blind, and let him play.

-- Edit --

Oh, and I was playing yesterday and saw a hand where a player forgot to turn in his cards. The dealer caught when he started the next deal, so no harm done. However the cardmaster didn't show that it was missing cards until it was almost done with the shuffle, so I woulnd't rely on it to immeadiately alert the dealer to a problem.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Clarifying the situation further, just because it's an interesting situation:

* initial deal was a misdeal (SB was incorrectly dealt out)
* significant action then occurred, so there is no remedy for the misdeal
* deck was NOT fouled -- SB simply did not receive a hand
* SB failed to return cards from previous deal (different deck), but when nobody noticed the misdeal SB tried to play the hand out anyway using the held-out cards
* upon losing at showdown, SB now wants the hand voided and all money returned

Is the angle-shot getting clearer to everyone? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

q/q
Old 08-27-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clarifying the situation further, just because it's an interesting situation:

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you were there? The deck in the Shufflemaster was missing the two cards?

And, sorry. You toss out your SB, get up to make a quick cell phone call, and sit down to two cards. Are you going to check that the backs are correct? Green/burgundy is not as distinctive as red/blue.
And haven't we all had the "Same two cards again" feeling?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:05 PM

To be fair to SB, he sincerely didn't realize he had cards from the previous deal. He's also not an angle shooter. He pointed out the problem on the river prior to betting (he had the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the nut flush). He didn't suggest refunding money, although the players who folded after putting in money did suggest it. To his credit, he did not argue with the floor and accepted the ruling gracefully.

Someone told MP that he should give SB half the pot, but MP said he had played with SB a number of times and that he was an experienced enough player to know better. SB agreed with this.