Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Should I Move to Canada?

[ QUOTE ]

If I moved to Canada I would become a Canadian citizen, not an American. And I already know how to do this cause my buddy from high school did this right when he graduated.

I already know the school system, living expenses, crime rate, etc. of the area I would like to move if I do.

I have been doing research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not Mexico? - it is so much warmer!!
<font color="red">
ooops - i see you answered that above - ok - think IceLand, Finland or Sweden - I mean - think of all those blonds in bear skin nighties!!!!
</font>
Old 03-10-2006, 01:34 AM

Yes you should move to Canada.
No you shouldn't freeload and not pay taxes!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) canadians owe money on poker winnings unless it was won in a windfall (which wouldn't be anyone here)
2) you owe taxes to the IRS on your total global earnings regardless of where you reside... ask KKF why he's paying 6 figures in taxes to the IRS though he lives in Asia... why wouldn't all American poker players move to Canada if it were tax-free???

you should do lil more research on such fundamental issues before planning a move like this. oh and what visa were you planning on applying for to get into Canada? doesn't seem like you did any research at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I moved to Canada I would become a Canadian citizen, not an American. And I already know how to do this cause my buddy from high school did this right when he graduated.

I already know the school system, living expenses, crime rate, etc. of the area I would like to move if I do.

I have been doing research. But I did get one thing VERY WRONG and that was the tax issue. I never researched that on my own. I asked a CPA (who was an American) but said he knew Canadian law pretty well. I asked him about my situation and he said that there was no gambling taxes, AND HE WAS WRONG if it is your primary income, which mine is. SO.... That deystroys my first reason for wanting to go. With only the 2nd reason left, it's not enough for me to leave.

SO....That's why I posted this on here, to see if what I was thinking made sense. It DIDN'T cause I was wrong.

Overall: glad I posted it, I was shown why my thinking was wrong and learned from this.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet: As a US citizen you are still liable for your taxes even if you renounce your citizenship and gain the citizenship of another country, if the IRS suspects that the change in citizenship was for tax reasons.

The rest of your question is thus moot.

PS: Yes I know you said that you are no longer considering moving because Canada actually taxes professional gambling, but many countries do not. So I thought I'd mention this in case you (or someone else) is thinking about moving to say...England.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:09 AM

Well if he renounces his citizenship how in hell can they collect? He would no longer be a citizen, unless there is treaty policy to send tax dodgers back to where they came.

What limits you playing? Seems like you averaging 10k/month.
not bad eh

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

coming from a fellow spokanite, i would recommend getting out of this city asap. i plan to as well once im done with school. problem for me is that canada is just as cold or colder than here but i guess you dont mind that. vancouver is a great city though i would imagine it being much more costly for living expenses. bottom line, get out of this craphole as soon as you can!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2006, 02:19 AM

Thats really childish to move out of your native country because the guy you voted for didn't get elected. Canada sucks anyway.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:34 AM

Default Residency vs citizenship

I don't know the laws in the US but for Canadians if you are a citizen but not a resident, don't have property or assets here and don't make income here, you don't owe taxes

i mean why would you ?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a US citizen you are still liable for your taxes even if you renounce your citizenship and gain the citizenship of another country, if the IRS suspects that the change in citizenship was for tax reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

They claim to have the right to tax such expats for ten years, although it's not clear exactly how they would enforce this with you and your funds abroad. In the early 90's, Forbes covered a group of jet-setters who were cosidering doing just that.

If you can spend 330 days of the year outside the U.S., you get an 80K break on taxable income. And of course, you could consider tax-free states like FL and NV. Certainly no good reason to live out here in the OC, where we have a 10% "weather tax".

Plus o' course Canada's a good place to run from the draft.
Don't have one yet, and if and when it probably won't include those 40+. The way things are going, who knows.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:10 AM

Sounds like you should just pay [censored] your taxes, you cheap bastard.