Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 06:48 PM

Default LO8 1/2 Turn Scare Card

Anyone bet this turn? No relevant history on the villain.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 4 folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6.5SB, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4.25BB, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero ?????
Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: LO8 1/2 Turn Scare Card

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone bet this turn?

[/ QUOTE ]cgkid - Maybe.

I realize you're playing in a game where the limit is low enough so that your unknown opponent may lack experience and playing skill, but I imagine you're looking to do more than just learn how to clobber weak opponents in weak games. Thus let's assume BB actually does know something about how to play the game and might be thinking about how you play.

In my opinion, it's O.K. to take a stab at the pot after this flop, but when BB calls, you have to consider what he/she might be calling with. And that sort of depends on how you have been playing yourself.

If you always bet the flop (as sort of what might be called a continuation bet), regardless of your cards and the flop, then BB might not hold much and might be basically calling your possible bluff.

If you don't constantly bet with or without a flop fit, BB should consider that you might have some sort of flop fit, and especially with UTG yet to act (even though UTG checked the flop), BB should not be continuing without some sort of flop fit.

But what might that fit be? I can't answer, and I don't think anybody else can either, but you need to start thinking about that right away after the flop.

You're ahead of one random hand, but you're about even with the best of two random hands.

It's probably doubtful BB will give up any reasonable fit with the board. Since BB checked the turn it doesn't immediately seem as though BB has a good fit with the board. However, BB did call your flop bet.

The optimal play is not clear. A BB who knows you and the game might expect that you might fold to a bet but might bet after a check. If so, BB could be letting you do the betting.

Whatever you do will not be criticized by me. Bet or check. You can find reasons for either.

I'd bet if I thought there was a good chance BB would fold and I'd check otherwise.

Note that if you check against a strong opponent it is highly probable your opponent will bet into you on the river.

Buzz
Old 08-26-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: LO8 1/2 Turn Scare Card

Thanks Buzz. I definitely do want to do more than just beat bad players.

Auto c-betting isn't something I do so I expected him to have something legtitmate here. I ended up checking and the river was a, offsuit 3 and he won the pot w A368 rainbow. I didn't think he would call with that weak of a hand on the flop.

Thanks,
cgkid