Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: SnG Icons: should I subscribe?

[ QUOTE ]
Braminc is right. If you want to hear Big Joe talk on the phone to his mom for 20 minutes or z32 talk about how cool their house is, by all means sign up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like it but wish they had more videos!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Braminc is right. If you want to hear Big Joe talk on the phone to his mom for 20 minutes or z32 talk about how cool their house is, by all means sign up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like it but wish they had more videos!

[/ QUOTE ]

While we were in Vegas for the series, all of us were sitting in the theater room and playing. Joe comes and sits down right next to me and starts making a video. He gets about 2 minutes in to reviewing a HH and I take a beat beat, flip out like I do about 50 times a day.

He got really pissed because I ruined his video, but wtf did he really think none of the 8 guys in the room were going to take a beat in the next hour? Sadly he started the video over, I think people would have really enjoyed making fun of my outbursts.

oh and I guess I should tell you to subscribe, but obviously I'm biased.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:24 PM

when sng icons (bigjoe, z32, and pudge), started asking customers to stake them in the world series, they made it clear to me that this site was for thier own self interest and could care less about really helping players.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:27 PM

PokerXFactor demolishes SnG Icons and there's so many PXF vids you'll never get through all of them.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:40 PM

Sng Icons is pretty cheap actually if you think about it. If you could learn even one thing it would be worth it.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when sng icons (bigjoe, z32, and pudge), started asking customers to stake them in the world series, they made it clear to me that this site was for thier own self interest and could care less about really helping players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is laughable for so many reasons.
Plenty of top players are staked. The variance in huge field MTTs is massive and many people want to reduce their exposure.

I fail to see how selling percentages of their WSOP action has any bearing whatsoever on the video content of the site. Its not like they were begging, they were offering people a chance to buy a piece of them. Also worth noting that in the end, the remaining action was snatched up by a high stakes player who obviously saw some value in owning a chunk of Joe and Z.

Also, nice job including Pudge in this. He is really ahead of the game. Most people don't have the foresight to start looking for staking 2 full years before they'll be able to play.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they were doing all of you a big favor by offering % of themselves to you. if a big "name" pro did this you'd be excited about it, but joe and z32 are certainly more +EV than almost all of the big names.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, just get TJ Cloutier's championship NL Hold'Em, only poker guidance you'll ever need. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats good advice, but you will also want to read everything here.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 PM

Thanks for everyone's replies.

[ QUOTE ]
Sng Icons is pretty cheap actually if you think about it. If you could learn even one thing it would be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been looking at similar sites and compared prices for a six month subscription:

StoxPoker: $150.00 + seventh month free
DeucesCracked: $148.00
SngIcons: $199.70
Cardrunners: $249.89

So CardRunners is $50 more expensive than Icons for six months, but icons is more expensive than the others. But to be fair, CardRunners guarantee SIX videos a WEEK, and have been delivering on this promise the vast majority of the time since the site was created. I don't recall seeing any complaints about CR on 2+2.

However, I think this is actually missing the point. Surely it can't be right that Icons is charging its members £20/month and not providing (according to some on here) a decent service in return. $240 a year + $100 sign up fee may not be much to some people, but for someone grinding away at the 22s with a 1K bankroll it's a hefty chunk if you don't feel properly compensated. I would guess that a significant number of Icon members are in this category.

Big Joe's opinion that "so what if we haven't produced anything for a few months, we'll make sure we average x vids/month by the year end" (I'm paraphrasing), seems to me to be a rather unprofessional way of dealing with the issue.

I've previously been a member of Stoxpoker (I'll probably return), and I'm currently subscribing to DeucesCracked and CardRunners, and they all guarantee a minimum number of vids per week. DC and SP in particular also have active fora where the pros are regularly giving detailed advice. I think DC is particularly outstanding in this regard, kind of ironic since this is actually the cheapest.

Anyway, I think given some of the reactions in this thread I'm going to delay signing up for now and see what happens. I might just pay the sign up fee, watch all the videos the first month and then unsubscribe. I'm sure the current list of vids will be worth $100 and will be of high quality, I just don't want to pay a monthly fee on principle if I'm getting nothing for it.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:38 PM

I am a subscriber and Im pretty pleased. I probably won't be able to renew because all my money is being poured into moving to Australia; but I have certainly learnt alot.

The quality of teaching I think is good from all of them- though Bigjoe is obviously the main selling point so he needs to make more video's.
Closed Thread