Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 07:27 AM

Default 2 Cash Game questions regarding button, and continuation bets.

First post here, hopefully everything goes well. Long time reader.

Anyway, i dont have an example hand but the questions are pretty general.

1) In a 6 handed game, is it smart to ALWAYS raise from the button? Even if there is a raise before you? What if its folded around to you, and you have something like 3-6o, or is there a certain range i should have? Should i still make my standard preflop raise? What about a 9 or 10 handed game?

This leads to my next question.

2)Say i have Ace Queen and make a preflop raise with 2 callers. I totally miss the flop. I know i should usually make a continuation bet on the flop. But if i still get a caller, i get a little nervous on the turn if i dont improve. Should i check and give up on the hand or should i make another bet? Hopefully you guys see where i get unsure on what the next move should be.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 AM

Default Re: 2 Cash Game questions regarding button, and continuation bets.

1) It boils down a lot on who you're playing. Personally I think any two cards is too loose, but I'm not a 6 max player mainly. I would still have a decient range of cards, looser then anywhere else, but raising with 72o is just a death trap. Also depends on how observent you're table is. Someone will figure out you're range fairly quickly, then you'll just start getting 3 bet very light, and be put into a lot of marginal positions.

Play loose from the button, don't play stupid.

2) Again, it depends. This is where hand reading comes into the situation. If you feel that you're opponent isn't going to lay down a hand, then you're stupid to bet. If you think he might have caught a low pair, then an K comes for instance, it might be a good place to fire a second barrel, as its something that scares him.

Pot control is something you should always be trying to do, so keeping the pot small is a good thing here, but then by checking against some opponents you're basically asking for them to bet, and make you fold.

Another trick I find good is to check behind on the turn if I think they are on something like a flush draw. If the river is a blank I'm happy to make a river bluff, as its a hand that probably would have called my 2nd barrel, but I can get to fold when his hand isn't made on the river.

The good old, it depends I suppose.

Don't forget, you can't win every pot, and you're there to win money, not pots.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: 2 Cash Game questions regarding button, and continuation bets.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=