Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Frisbee

[ QUOTE ]
i'll probably add more to this later, but i wanted to say that i'm pretty sure the reason it's called "ultimate" instead of "ultimate frisbee" is because whamo owns the name "frisbee" and sued someone like the ultimate player's assn or whatever for using their name. i'm also 90% sure that since then, it has been against the rles to use "true" frisbees in ultimate, which is OK, since discraft disks are so much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

So dumb on Frisbee Inc's. part if true...
Old 08-25-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good athletes can outjump people 4-6 inches taller than them due to hops and timing

[/ QUOTE ]

Timing is the great equalizer. I'm a little bit over 5'8" but I could take a disc over pretty much anyone on our team, including a 6'1" kid with above-average leaping ability. The ability to catch the disc at the highest point at which you can grab it is huge, more important than even positioning.

In fact, the only guy on the team I couldn't consistently beat in the air was another 6'1" guy who I'm not sure I've seen get skied more than a dozen times in the 8 or 9 years we've played together. He has very average leaping ability, perhaps even below average. But he reads the disc well, positions himself well, and has terrific timing.

-McGee
Old 08-25-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's basically impossible to cover someone much bigger than you while it is possible for the bigger slower guy to cover the smaller faster guy pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with this more. In my experiences, speed mismatches get exploited far more often than height mismatches during the run of play.

-McGee
Old 08-25-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's basically impossible to cover someone much bigger than you while it is possible for the bigger slower guy to cover the smaller faster guy pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with this more. In my experiences, speed mismatches get exploited far more often than height mismatches during the run of play.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Tall slow guys tend to be sorta useless unless it's windy (or they can throw really well, e.g. Steve Mooney for those that remember that far back)
Old 08-25-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Frisbee is a sprt for people that are crap at sport. Several people form my school now play for England. I've never seen them play it, but I was in gym class with them and they were the most uncoordinated bunch of monkeys in there. If those guys can be on the national side of a country like England, well, its not going to be a sport I have any respect for in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people like you was the reason Ultimate was invented.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, so people who are [censored] at sport can feel better about themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. please take your ignorance elsewhere.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Frisbee is a sprt for people that are crap at sport. Several people form my school now play for England. I've never seen them play it, but I was in gym class with them and they were the most uncoordinated bunch of monkeys in there. If those guys can be on the national side of a country like England, well, its not going to be a sport I have any respect for in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people like you was the reason Ultimate was invented.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, so people who are [censored] at sport can feel better about themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. please take your ignorance elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol so what was your point with 'people like you are why Ultimate was invented?'
Old 08-25-2007, 07:40 PM

i think his point was hippies
Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl
Old 08-25-2007, 08:34 PM

I'm going into my second season at The College of New Jersey. Just finished summer league (Mercer County Ultimate Disc League) and couldn't be more pumped about the upcoming season. We were a decent team last year and should be better this year.

Also I'd just like to restate how different the game is at different skill levels. I played a fair amount of pick-up in high school and was always one of the better players but once I moved up to the college level the quality of play was much, much better.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was so people could play a sport without a bunch of cocky [censored]. However, as in any large enough group of athletic people, there are a few cocky [censored] in Ultimate these days.