Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 AM

Default plo theory question

I have been playing lots of heads up PLO lately. Today i was contemplating check raising approaches... In a standard raised pot at 5-10...the pot will be 60 on the flop...

i hold AQxx 109hh--- flop comes 9 5 3 with two hearts...

now this villain will typically C-bet 70-80 percent of the time...i.e. much too high a percentage to always have a strong hand or even any hand at all...

but my question is (assuming 100 BB stacks)...if i check raise, i am committing 200-240, and will have a hard time getting away if villain re-shoves...and when this happens and i call, i must be taking the worst of it...however, i could take a different approach and chck raise with lesser hands where it will be easier to get away...say (1010 7 6 no suits)...or (Ak 4 6)...or even complete air.

I tend to assume i have fairly good fold equity in spots like this, but does the sklansky theory of poker apply, where I am pushing my opponents into optimal plays (ie folding) by check raising the 10 9hh AKxx type hands? Intuitively, it seems its equally important to check raise the "garbage hands" bc in those, you are actually forcing your opponent to play sub optimally...

Bc omaha plays 4 cards, I tend to believe that free cards are a bad idea, and just calling down with a mid strength paired drawing hand is extremely difficult to do being out of position...

does anyone have thoughts on this ramble?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Re: plo theory question

Check raising top pair with weak flush draw is and no straight draw if fine but you have to fold to a shove some of the time. In PLO especially HU mixing your strategies is critical because of that occasionally check raising with weak draws will keep you opponent off-balance. Chapter 21 of Math of Poker also backs up this strategy.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:25 AM

CR made hands in this spot sometimes
CR big drawing hands in this spot sometimes
CR air in this spot sometimes
Old 08-25-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check raising top pair with weak flush draw is and no straight draw if fine but you have to fold to a shove some of the time. In PLO especially HU mixing your strategies is critical because of that occasionally check raising with weak draws will keep you opponent off-balance. Chapter 21 of Math of Poker also backs up this strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never fold OP's hand on this flop HU. C/R and if he 3-bets, shove.