Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Limp-reraising in microlimit games

Was just wondering what peoples opinions it were, I couldn't seem to find any other threads on the subject. Are there certain table dynamics where it might be justified? I mean in general it seems to be kings or aces people do it with but would anyone ever recommend doing it with any other cards, under any circumstances? I've been kind of experimenting with it a bit recently on nl25 at Party, always with kings/aces, limping in ep (usually utg or sometimes mp) on particularly loose tables before reraising. I've found that it can be effective for building a big pot preflop sometimes, especially when there has been a raise and 1 or more callers as people seem to call the re-raise a reasonable amount of the time (even though you're clearly repping a monster). Of course it has its obvious drawbacks, there's no guarantee someone will raise even on a loose table and a few times I've ended up playing multiway limped pots which can lead to trouble easily. My opinion at the moment is that its a bit more hassle than its worth, and while, sure, everyone might fold when you raise utg you'll avoid some tough situations. Perhaps it may be acceptable once in a while just to mix your play up? Do u ever see it at higher stakes games? any insight into this is appreciated
Old 08-24-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Limp-reraising in microlimit games

i think it just depends on your overall preflop approach. it really doesn't fit well with the game that most players adopt online. if you played a style that involved you limping up front with things like pp and Axs, then i can see working it in a bit to defend yourself from people that agressively attack your limps relentlessly. most players these days just open or fold from ep in 6max though.

i think that whole style of play, including limp/raising with AA/KK from ep is a lot more viable in full ring games than it is in 6max games. i'm pretty sure that super system was mostly based around 8-9 player environments, and that's really the only extensive writing on this style of play that comes to mind off the top of my head.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:00 PM

I think the limp reraise is weak for the following reasons:

A) You're counting on someone raising. If someone doesn't, holy [censored] are you in trouble with AA KK etc. in a multiway pot.

B) When you limp reraise its like shooting up a flare saying, "Hey I have pocket rockets! If you limp, try to get lucky! You're gonna stack me if you do."

C) A+B

Sometimes it may work with a very loose player calling anyways, but I just don't think it increases your profit enough to make it worth doing even 1/10 times. Maybe 1/25.

Thoughts?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 PM

that's why i think its better in full ring. there is more of a chance that someone raises you when you're trying to trail around with AA/KK. there's nothing that says these are the only hands you can do this with though. i mean, if people are as scared of a limp/reraise as you say (i tend to agree), then it would be a pretty high percentage bluff also.

i think the main thing is that is that its just one way to play a more balanced game preflop if you like a style that involves limping all over the table with lots of different hands. there are some advantages to those sorts of styles, even though they are pretty out of fashion. one, is that when you open raise with 44, you're going to get 3bet and run out of the pot by the hands that you have the most implied odds against. of course, if pp were the only hand you limp/called with, then those odds are cut versus smart players, because your hand is pretty transparent.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 PM

in a full ring game its less terrible, but just dont do it at 6max
Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 PM

I'd only really consider it when a maniac is at the table and has not acted, someone with big PFR numbers that isn't folding to 3bets.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Cheers for the responses, yeah my game very rarely involves much limping so I guess observant opponents might clock on to what I was doing. And I agree with the part about basically telling the callers/raisers in front of you that they will stack you if they get lucky! I don't play full ring either but I can see why it would be more effective.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Sorry I figured we were only discussing 6max here. Yea in full ring definately better if you know theres an attentive TAG at the table that will gladly try to pick off or isolate the weak limper up front.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd only really consider it when a maniac is at the table and has not acted, someone with big PFR numbers that isn't folding to 3bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I'll usually just raise anyways and hope to get a chance at a re-raise.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in a full ring game its less terrible, but just dont do it at 6max

[/ QUOTE ]