Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Good DVD Commentaries?

I want to second the commentary on Fight Club. That was just a DVD that was done right and it has terrific commentaries.

Also, I got a kick out of the Boogie Nights commentary. I don't know if I'd recommend it as a great comentary, but there's a part in the middle where the commentary with PT Anderson and Mark Wahlberg was clearly done in an impromptu session at Mark's pad on a Friday night before he was going out with friends. While commenting on the movie you can hear them doing bong hits and Mark getting calls from his friends wondering when he's coming out.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Just watched Donnie Darko a few nights ago w/ the directors commentary on. jake gyllenhaal was commenting as well, and seemed a little retarded at times. Other that that it was pretty informative & interesting.

Looking forward to watching the office w/ commentary on now.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Surprisingly, I ended up liking George Lucas's commentary on The Phantom Menace.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boondock Saints has a pretty good one. The best one IMO is the commentary track on Black Hawk Down by the actual Rangers and Deltas that were there. I'm biased though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't believe I forgot this one. Black Hawk Down Commentary is by far my all-time favorite. First, it has three separate tracks. One from Bruckheimer and Ridley Scott, one from the Screenwriter and Writer of the Book, and one from one of the Delta Colonels (played by the guy sitting with Sam Shepard [the General] in the war room), Ranger Colonel (played by Tom Seizmore), and Sgt. Eversman (Josh Hartnet), and another officer (I believe one of the guys in the chopper giving directions).

All three are great, but the latter two are remarkable. The Writer/Screenwriter commentary is insightful about certain changes needing to be made, the screenwriting process, anecdotes, and quite funny (the screenwriter, Ken Nolan, does great impressions of everybody when he tells a story about them). The third one is gold, though. The fact they were actually there is cool enough, but they give loads of information about the incident and really clear up alot of things that a layman might say. For example, many piss and moan about how "bungled" the operation was, even going as far as to scream about it being conducted in the daytime at the center of the most volatile part of the city (Bakara Market).

Firstly, the mission was in fact a success, and would have been completely incident free. and if one of the Privates hadn't fallen out of the chopper the mission would have been finished in less than 20 minutes (though the movie shows it as the Heli swaying away and causing him to miss the rope, nobody really knows exactly what caused him to fall out). They also didn't get to chose when their information about the subject is given to them, so they basically go in whenever they get solid intel about his location, and in fact there were several previous attempts at night that didn't pan out. They got the information and had to decide to go now or risk waiting for another opportunity that might never happen. They also practiced the exact event that occurred (a black hawk going down) and were prepared with what to do when it actually happened.

They basically got screwed due to factors out of their control and in all actuality did amazingly well with the situation.

I've listened to the third commentary over 4 times, so that should give you an idea of how good it is.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Goodfellas is also greate. The real Henry Hill talks with the FBI agent that put him in the Witness Protection Program. It's remarkable how accurate that movie really was (if Henry is to be believed)

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn, you said it before I could. Goodfellas is my fav. movie and the commentary is definitely cool. Also, for those who liked the movie, the book (Wiseguy) is excellent.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 PM

GUYS

TAKE ALL THESE LIST THREADS TO THE LOUNGE