Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Black market schools

[ QUOTE ]
A study based on a survey of parent satisfaction published earlier this year by researchers at Columbia University found that relying on private markets can undermine educational equity

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to undermine anything, it must first exist.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For anyone interested in the bad things of public education, ideas on what kind of education is actually helpful, and the history of education over the centuries and why it got instituted and what function it ACTUALLY has.

John Taylor Gatto
* The Guerrilla Curriculum (1)
* Compiled Thoughts On Schooling (1)
* Compiled Thoughts On Schooling (2)
http://www.altruists.org/downloads/b...ers/education/
(podcasts)

John Taylor Gatto (born John Gatto) is an American retired school teacher of 29 years 8 months and author of several books on education. He is an activist critical of compulsory schooling and the hegemonic nature of discourse on education and the education professions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor_Gatto

He climaxed his teaching career as New York State Teacher of the Year after being named New York City Teacher of the Year on three occasions. He quit teaching on the OP ED page of the Wall Street Journal in 1991 while still New York State Teacher of the Year, claiming that he was no longer willing to hurt children. Later that year he was the subject of a show at Carnegie Hall called "An Evening With John Taylor Gatto," which launched a career of public speaking in the area of school reform, which has taken Gatto over a million and a half miles in all fifty states and seven foreign countries. In 1992, he was named Secretary of Education in the Libertarian Party Shadow Cabinet, and he has been included in Who's Who in America from 1996 on. In 1997, he was given the Alexis de Tocqueville Award for his contributions to the cause of liberty, and was named to the Board of Advisors of the National TV-Turnoff Week.

His books include: Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling (1992); The Exhausted School (1993); A Different Kind of Teacher (2000); and The Underground History Of American Education (2001)

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/aboutus/john.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly enough, his essay in The Atlantic was assigned in my education course last night. I can sympathize with some of what he says, but something just seems wrong with his whole thesis that schools were set up to provide a docile labor force for evil corporations. Since when have teachers EVER been tools of capitalism. They're about the most left-wing bunch you'll ever run across and they're not about to allow themselves to be agents to enslave the masses.

He also uses the word "hegemony" a lot, a sure sign of a closet Marxist. Only Marxists use the word "hegemony", it's like "family values" is to religious Republicans.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 PM

I find it amusing that you post an article showing how private schools are servicing poor communities throughout the third and developing world. The statists on this forum completely ignore article and all say something to the effect of, "The government must provide education or poor kids wont get educated." Huh?!?!?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since when have teachers EVER been tools of capitalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not tools of capitalism; tools of collectivism.

People who vote, people who go into the war machine, people who work in the bureaucracy monster. People who are obedient. NOT people who are creative.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're about the most left-wing bunch you'll ever run across and they're not about to allow themselves to knowingly be agents to enslave the masses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-24-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it amusing that you post an article showing how private schools are servicing poor communities throughout the third and developing world. The statists on this forum completely ignore article and all say something to the effect of, "The government must provide education or poor kids wont get educated." Huh?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-24-2007, 07:57 PM

I'd think that the government would much prefer a docile workforce than entrepreneurs don't you?

I read a number of articles from Mises a few years back on why state schools developed and they blamed it on Protestants trying to undermine Catholicism. I think Rothbard wrote them but don't remember for certain.

The cause/purpose of socialized schooling in this country isn't all that important. The fact that education provided by the market is far more efficient is what matters to me.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 PM

Private schools often operate for less then you pay in property or other taxes to attend school. Not only would poor kids be able to go to school, it would cost less.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sign me up!

Ooh,wait, can I tour your particle accelerator lab first?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nielso is AC. I rest my case.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Private schools often operate for less then you pay in property or other taxes to attend school. Not only would poor kids be able to go to school, it would cost less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not without endowments or other subsidies.