Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Black market schools

[ QUOTE ]
In a rare show of support from NTB...

I think most of the ACists are SPOT ON WRT education.

Private/voluntary>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>Public(state)/mandatory

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no evidence to support that conclusion, and plenty of counter examples. Virtually the only broad success of (semi) privatization is magnet schools in very poor areas, and those successes correlate with motivation and parental involvement.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the main purpose of public education is to give every child the opportunity to get an education. The system often fails but in my opinion it is better thant no trying.
No public school-> poor children have no opportunity to sucess in life -> a free society that is not so free.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you assume that there would be no cheap schools?
It's not like public schools are a free lunch.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there are two reasons:

1. Ensure that every child gets an education

2. Give children something to do besides work in a sweatshop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think all children need to learn the things that are taught in public schools (or even in most private schools)? Whether or not something like public schooling exists, I think the best thing that can be done for education is to decentralize it enough so that not every single person needs to learn the same goddamn stuff. Not everyone is the same, and not everyone wants or needs to learn the same things, so its silly to have a system where bascially all children are brought up learning the same subjects.

[/ QUOTE ]
What a crazy claim. Everyone learns the same, are you out of your mind?
Come on there's a rich diversity in public schools. Some teach evolution and some teach creationism.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the main purpose of public education is to give every child the opportunity to get an education. The system often fails but in my opinion it is better thant no trying.
No public school-> poor children have no opportunity to sucess in life -> a free society that is not so free.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the free rider problem, as is often the case. Property taxes that pay for most public education are payed by users and non-users alike (which is appropriate because there are signficant social benefits from broad based educational opportunities). Give the non-users a choice to voluntarily contribute or not, and everyone that opts not to increases the burden on users.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there's the first fallacy. The fallacy of "disagree with my tactics means you disagree with my objective" (also known as "why do you hate poor people? or "why do you support the terrorists?" or "why do you hate children?"). There are ways other than centralized, coercively funded government schools that can provide poor children with opportunities.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the free rider problem, as is often the case. Property taxes that pay for most public education are payed by users and non-users alike (which is appropriate because there are signficant social benefits from broad based educational opportunities). Give the non-users a choice to voluntarily contribute or not, and everyone that opts not to increases the burden on users.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the exact opposite of a "free rider problem". The public schooling system as we know it is *designed* with free riders *in mind*.

Black is white!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are ways other than centralized, coercively funded government schools that can provide poor children with opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT

OK prepare for universe asplode time I've now agreed with pvn, Nielso, and Borodog [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there's the first fallacy. The fallacy of "disagree with my tactics means you disagree with my objective" (also known as "why do you hate poor people? or "why do you support the terrorists?" or "why do you hate children?"). There are ways other than centralized, coercively funded government schools that can provide poor children with opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL!!!!
If there are no publics schools, every rich child is gauranteed a golden education that poor children cannot have.
Public school cannot prevent that from happenning, but it can at least give a little hope.
If they are other way to provide poor children with opporunities and not come back to a true feudal society in two generations in an ACworld, please name them, I need a laugh.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 PM

There's an enormous social welfare organization that continually increases the quantity, quality, and affordability of goods and services to the consuming masses, most especially the poor. It's called the free market. Perhaps you've heard of it?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Public education is not about poor children. If it was, we'd needs-test for it and only provide it to those at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder. Providing 100% free education to all kids, even in families that otherwise could pay for it themselves, is about buying votes and controlling the information given to as many children as possible.