Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Laptop help

arent dell good laptops.. i need to be getting myself one.. i was thinking around £500 for a dell laptop.. any ideas BBV?!?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know dells suck, but they're having a crazy deal for like one day only. Basically 5-hundos for a computer before tax and everything and after rebates:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...l=en&s=dhs

I was thinking about getting one myself, but it's my last year and i might as well use the one I have for the remainder.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uuuuhhhh since when. I got a great deal on mine from a friend who used to work for them, and have had zero problems and perfect customer service so far...

[/ QUOTE ]

It just seems to be the general opinion, I'm fine with mine, but a lot of people think they suck, should have clarified, sorry.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:59 PM

I bought the dell inspiron 1705 last year and have had tons of problems with it.

FWIW I was planning on getting 2 laptops, one for travel/taking to class etc and gonna get a second beast one for poker/serious work

edit: if anyone picks out a good small (13-15 inch) laptop for travel/class for a decent price I'll also ship you some money.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:44 PM

$150 off sonystyle store for getting their credit card

Personally, since I don't need a lappy, I'd use it on the PS3 to bring it down to $350 + ship. The card itself seems to have minimal rewards, so just get it, shop with it once, and drop it so you can get it again when another promo comes up. Instant approval and you should be able to get all of the information to make the purchase off the chase website.

Oh, the card supposedly gives 8 points per dollar spent, which should be another $150 in savings.

Combine with fatcash 3% (fatwallet's rakeback program) - $56

Total savings - $356 or 19%

PM me for stars/FTP name

Crovax
Old 08-24-2007, 03:46 PM

what kind of problems you have w/ it Dan? i'm also looking for a new laptop, needs to be 1600x1200 or better and basically something that is fast and won't give me alot of problems. would like to get it as cheap as possible but that isn't my main concern. i'd rather get something that isn't a POS and that i like.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:25 AM

tons of battery issues (probably partially my fault)
bunch of blue screens of death
spilled beer on it which didn't help but it was kinda [censored] already
Old 08-25-2007, 03:07 AM

hey guys .. I used to do support for a major consumer Laptop Company . I really think you get what you pay for ..these lap tops use the cheapest wireless cards and hardware ... So I would go for a company that has the support ..or buy the extended warranty .. plus maybe spill protection ,, because HP and Dell don't cover that and it's a 700$ charge to you,the customer to get it fixed .. So it depends on your situation.. GL
Old 08-25-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Me either. I just got a new Dell 17" laptop. Other than having to tweak the wireless settings in it to keep it from timing out, it has worked great so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you do to fix this? I'm running into the same problem with my Dell laptop and it's really fking annoying. I thought it was a problem with my router all this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My new one has a Intel 3945 wireless adapter in it. Straight out of the box it would consistently interrupt me about every 15 minutes. Interruption would last about 8-10 seconds, just long enough to almost time me out on my tables I had running. Wireless signal is strong and my previous laptop never did this.

I had mess around with some of the setting under the adapters properties but finally found the one that did it. If you have the same one I do, then do this.

Go under Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Network Adapters/Intel 3945. Right click on it, hit Properties. Under the Advanced tab you will see several settings there. You will see one called Roaming Aggressiveness. Mine was set to Medium as a default. Turn it to Low.

Apparently the card is set to randomly search out other signals and when it does it interrupts you current signal for a few seconds. After turning mine to Low, I have only gotten a couple of interruptions over the past week or so where I was getting them every 10-15 minutes.

I also changed the Signal option under there also to only pull a G signal, which is what my router uses. Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:12 PM

How about a macbook?
Old 08-25-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about a macbook?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, everything you need to know about Apple products can be found here:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant

and here:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone