Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Default decide whether i stick it out with cash or go back to donkaments

hi all, this is my 1st question on 2+2 i really hope you lot can help.

Basically ive got a decision should I carry on with the cash game or just pack it in and go back to donkaments.
This is how I used to run on donkaments and I think I did ok but I wanted to go back to cash since the variance in tourneys is just crazy.

http://www.pocketfives.com/profiles/sinderg

so I decided if im gonna go back to cash properly I should grind out 50k hands at each level before moving up. Ive clocked in 22k in hands so far and im down $800 i think ive run mega-unlucky on party poker so could someone help explain how unlucky ive been over this period of hands.

I downloaded pokerEV to see but I cant understand this graph at all.

could someone help explain it.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: decide whether i stick it out with cash or go back to donkaments

eh, looks like ur abit too aggressive. winning money w/o showdown yet losing money at showdown suggests that ur either valuebetting too thinly, bluffing too much, or a combination of both. Also, but less likely it could mean ur calling too thinnly at showdown aswell

some players like kotkis can profitably pull off having their green line above the blue, but most cant
Old 08-24-2007, 01:46 PM

u should play whichever game you like more... and work on that one...
Old 08-24-2007, 01:48 PM

Is there any other information i could put up to see if im running bad or just playing bad.
maybe a screen shot of my pokertracker stats or somthing.

?

also from the graph am i unlucky or just luck neutral [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

also im kind of used to playin cash on $5/$10nl so ive got used to a certain level of aggression. do i need to be a lot tigher lower down. i think i over play my self putting to much faith in my opponents skill set on 0.5/1
Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM

if it wasn't for the fact that MTT's take so long/you can't take breaks i'd be playing them because I think they are much more +EV. people that play multi's are just sooooooo bad. if you don't mind the hours play multi's esp since ur on a downswing.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:04 PM

Depends on what size limits you're playing at. When I'm not running well on cash tables I find it really good to enter tourneys and just play real tight for a while. If let's say you just lost 2-3 buy-in's on cash tables, try enter 2-3 MTT's and just play ultra-tight. An hour later you're still in all of them and close to money and you'll be in a much better frame of mind. Tourneys really control and stop any tilting I might've had on cash tables after bad beats.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:14 PM

well i used to play donkaments full time and its way harder then cash time wise and health wise.

In the uk if your gonna play torneys properly (belowabove , shaundeeb style) online you have to wake up at 6pm and play till 4am if ya cash, and you cant take breaks and you cant stop.

The main reason i quit torneys was i didnt see daylight for 3 weeks at one point and i decided this is going to destroy my health. its why i wanted to go back to playing cash in the 1st place.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if it wasn't for the fact that MTT's take so long/you can't take breaks i'd be playing them because I think they are much more +EV. people that play multi's are just sooooooo bad. if you don't mind the hours play multi's esp since ur on a downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree with this. I'm a student so cash allows me some flexibility with my schedule (class at 10:00 get back to my apt by 11:30, another class at 2:00 so I'll put in a couple hours). I also find a lot more interesting situations arising in cash games than in tournaments. But if you're going after the easy money and can play uninterrupted for a few hours then by all means play tournies.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Don't know about you guys but I totally disagree with tourneys needing more concentration for longer, or a lower win rate, at least for small stakes. How much focus do you really need to have to 5-table $25-buyin MTT's?? Sharks that play MTT's to make money don't try to do their absolute best in each individual one. If you play them super tight AA KK... 99 and AK AQ AJ-s only, fold to everything else, you pretty much are guaranteed to reach the bubble in decent shape. Then on the bubble everyone freezes you play HAG and lead into money almost 80% of the time. The focus needed is not even close to 3-tabling cash... and hourly rate almost just as good. Or you can try 3 MTT's and 1 cash at the same time etc.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 PM

tournaments suck, learn to play cash better