Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Home games skill factor...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the disparity in skill from game to game is more important than what op's strongest game is.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I'd much rather play othello against an unknown player than backgammon, even though I am a world-class backgammon player, and nothing special in competitive othello. I'll win less than 75% of backgammon games even against a bad player, but over 90% of othello games against someone who only knows to fight for the corners.

[ QUOTE ]

if he's barely break even in stud or poor at PlO he won't have the skill to exploit his opponents weaknesses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but it takes only a few minutes of instruction to tell someone how to crush an Omaha (high) game filled with Texas Hold'em players.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Draw to the nuts.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Play coordinated hands, where all 4 cards work together like T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], not hands where you like 2 cards, like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. If you only like 2 cards, they better be AA, and then you either want to get everything in preflop or flop a set.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Don't get excited about bottom set, or hands that will make bottom set.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] A raise on the river represents the nuts in pot-limit.

In a home game, I called a round of Omaha limit, and a tight Texas Hold'em player raised me on the river with 2 pair. I think it was supposed to be for value, but it was a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo
Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the disparity in skill from game to game is more important than what op's strongest game is.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I'd much rather play othello against an unknown player than backgammon, even though I am a world-class backgammon player, and nothing special in competitive othello. I'll win less than 75% of backgammon games even against a bad player, but over 90% of othello games against someone who only knows to fight for the corners.

[ QUOTE ]

if he's barely break even in stud or poor at PlO he won't have the skill to exploit his opponents weaknesses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but it takes only a few minutes of instruction to tell someone how to crush an Omaha (high) game filled with Texas Hold'em players.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Play coordinated hands, where all 4 cards work together like T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], not hands where you like 2 cards, like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. If you only like 2 cards, they better be AA, and then you either want to get everything in preflop or flop a set.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Don't get excited about bottom set, or hands that will make bottom set.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] A raise on the river represents the nuts in pot-limit.

In a home game, I called a round of Omaha limit, and a tight Texas Hold'em player raised me on the river with 2 pair. I think it was supposed to be for value, but it was a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think bingo counts as a poker game. + theres not much skill in it. I would stick to pot l omaha.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think bingo counts as a poker game. + theres not much skill in it. I would stick to pot l omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

stick to lurking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play coordinated hands, where all 4 cards work together like T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], not hands where you like 2 cards, like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. If you only like 2 cards, they better be AA, and then you either want to get everything in preflop or flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played Omaha, so pardon the donk question: If you'll only be playing 2 hole cards, why do you want all 4 to be coordinated? 2 groups of 2 coordinated hands would make more sense, no? You certainly don't want all 4 of one suit since that would be killing your own flush draw....
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Thank you all for your kind replys!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you please explain this a bit more. What poker variant has the most skill vs. luck (NL/LHE, Omaha or Stud)!!???
I've always wanted to know the answer to this question.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Play coordinated hands, where all 4 cards work together like T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], not hands where you like 2 cards, like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. If you only like 2 cards, they better be AA, and then you either want to get everything in preflop or flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played Omaha, so pardon the donk question: If you'll only be playing 2 hole cards, why do you want all 4 to be coordinated? 2 groups of 2 coordinated hands would make more sense, no? You certainly don't want all 4 of one suit since that would be killing your own flush draw....

[/ QUOTE ]

no THAT coordinated. ideally you would have double suited cards as you have suggested, i.e. 8s9sJhTh. hands like these make it easier to make a straight and the benefits of having two flush draws is easy to see
Old 08-24-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you'll only be playing 2 hole cards, why do you want all 4 to be coordinated? 2 groups of 2 coordinated hands would make more sense, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fully coordinated hands tend to give you more strong made hands, and more playable draws.

If you have something like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], then there are a lot of strong hands you can make with the QJ, and a lot of strong hands you can make with the 65, but not many with Q6, Q5, J6, or J5. You have 2 hands to play. (Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is not much better.)

If you have J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], then you can make a lot of strong hands with JT, J9, T9, T8, and 98, and maybe even with J8. That's 5 or 6 hands to play.

Often, you will get a monster straight draw, or a straight with outs to a higher straight. For example, suppose you have with JT9x when the board is 874r. Any J, T, 9, or 6 will give you the nut straight. That is 13 outs because the draws with JT, J9, and T9 work together.

In Omaha, a straight draw can have up to 20 outs, e.g., QJ87 has 20 outs on a board of T9x. However, be careful that many of these are not nut straights, e.g., if the turn is a Q, you have a queen high straight, while someone with KJxx has a king high straight.

A hand like QJ65 will not only flop fewer straights and fewer big draws, but when it does flop a straight, there is no backup draw to a higher straight or full house. Flopping a straight in Omaha is not nearly as good as in Texas Hold'em. You can be a significant underdog against one opponent even when you flop the nut straight. Someone playing a coordinated hand can easily have the same straight with a draw to a higher straight or to a full house, or a monster draw to a higher straight. For example, if the flop is 874 and you have AQ65, someone with 7765, 9765, or T988 is a significant favorite over you even with no flush draw, and you are about even with some big draws to higher straights. On a 987 flop, you have a straight, but should fold to any significant action.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Thanks, guys!