Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: QJs reraised by short stack

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Open-pushing is awful

Raise/fold is fine here, but less than 3X BB is preferable and maybe just open-fold if your table isnt a typical nitty ass live table

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, this is a live tournament with big antes and tight play. Second of all, I love to play suited connectors and am willing to limp if I don't want to raise, so I never open fold this.

Agreed, and I think it's a marginally -EV call as described.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 AM

I'd agree w/ djk if only it wasnt going from 14bbs to 5bbs. Thats a very huge strategical difference obv losing your fold equity, and i think that is enough to push u over the edge to the fold column. Obv a very close situation in a normal case, but I think i'd call.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:44 AM

i def raise this but live with antes prob to 2.5bb or so since people don't squeeze or resteal enough live. As played, I muck becuase I'd much rather preserve my FE for the future steals I will attempt later this orbit.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Open-pushing is awful

Raise/fold is fine here, but less than 3X BB is preferable and maybe just open-fold if your table isnt a typical nitty ass live table

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100%
Old 08-24-2007, 06:45 AM

Stealing blinds is okey with QJ but against a re-raise at a tight table its a fold.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:15 AM

Yeh, I figured I had a pot odds call, but I didn't think about how I only have 5xBB if I lose. I figured villain could have an underpair or maybe AT or something. I also wasn't sure if he thought he might have FE.

Villain showed AKs same suits, so I was 34%, slightly behind pot odds. Hit a Q on the flop, but a K on the river. Pushed A6o the next hand and 88 pushed over top and busted me.

Not exactly true I don't have FE with 5xBB, but it puts me in the uncomfortable position of doing a lot of pushing. If I won the A6o hand, I would have been back to 13xBB. I probably have a lot of cEV+ plays real short stacked.

With 14xBB, I have a stack for pushbotting or restealing. With 32xBB if I had called and won, I am the 2nd biggest stack at the table, and probably can exploit that.

As for the raise size, I was sometimes raising 2.5xBB. There was a huge stack in CO flat calling a lot. I wanted to represent I had something like AK/TT and wasn't folding to a reraise, but I was planning to raise/fold. Also, if I am called, I have a big pot and can get allin with any pair or draw. If I had made it 7.5xBB, I would have folded to villain's push here.