Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: buying athletic socks

s,

For expensive socks, Thorlo athletic socks are great. I recently bought a bunch of Nike dri-fit socks as my standard athletic sock and they are really great (and not very expensive).
Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM

I think it's probably the shoes. I can't recommend turf shoes (rather than long studs) for casual play enough. It's also possible that the make of the cleat just doesn't fit your foot well. For example, I just can't wear Nike cleats, but Adidas fit me perfectly.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Some people swear by wearing two pairs of socks ... that never worked for me.

What did work for me was using a product called BodyGlide. It is applied like a stick deodorant, and works like vaseline, but without all the goo and gunk. Cleans off nice and easy as well. You can purchase it at any running store in your area.

I use it all the time when snowboarding, and it is fantastic. No blisters in two years.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 PM

First of all you should always be wearing two pairs. If you do that and it's not working....well I have nothing else to add. Sorry.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 PM

Under Armour socks are awesome. Minimal-to-no blistering usually since I started wearing them for Ultimate Frisbee. Much better than cotton for me. I've never found anything to work well though when your cleats are new and the season is just starting - I pretty much always have some blisters then. Once I break in the calluses it's fine.

Anyone else play seriously? Anyone going to be at Chicago Heavyweights in September?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
s,
For expensive socks, Thorlo athletic socks are great. I recently bought a bunch of Nike dri-fit socks as my standard athletic sock and they are really great (and not very expensive).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thorlo are by far the best athletic socks around, and Nike dri-fit socks are a close second. Thorlo's can be a little thick for some people, and the Nike's can be a little thin, so your preference can make your decision for you.

The main reason that you're getting blisters is because you're wearing cotton socks. Cotton is fine for everyday wear, but it's horrible for athletics. Cotton absorbs sweat and causes your socks to stick to your feet and rub against your skin, which will cause the blisters. You really want to wear either wool or a man-made fiber like acrylic or coolmax. These fibers wick the sweat away from your skin to the outer side of the sock, where it will eventually evaporate. (wicking = transporting)

For those of you who like to wear two pairs of socks, I highly recommend a brand called Double Lay-R. They're socks made out of two layers of coolmax, and they are pretty awesome.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought a bunch of Nike dri-fit socks as my standard athletic sock and they are really great (and not very expensive).

[/ QUOTE ]
I <3 dri-fit, but if I wear the socks with anything other than my dri-fit cross-trainers, my feet end up sweating like 20x more than usual.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've been having problems with blisters on my feet this year and i'm either going to buy a bunch of cotton socks that fit better or a bunch of fancier non-cotton socks. i'm currently wearing cotton socks, some of which are a little too big and seem to causing much of the problem.

i play ultimate frisbee 2-3 times / week in old cleats. i guess the cleats could be the problem too.

so.... cotton or not cotton?

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are the blisters? If it's on your heel then the shoes are probably a bit too big or small. If they're on the bottom of your foot...are the cleats screw-ins? I had a trouble with one pair of screw-ins once, they applied too much pressure to certain parts of my feet because there are only 6 studs instead of like 13 or whatever. But they're meant for really soft ground (mud) and will kill you on hard ground.

Anyway I'm pretty certain that your shoes will play a much bigger role in this than socks will. Decent socks + good shoes = comfort
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM

vaseline, nuskin/second skin, band-aids are all good things to use
Old 08-24-2007, 12:16 AM

For Ultimate, I wear the championship socks they have at Costco. I love them