Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller\'s advanced pre flop concepts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll coldcall a range of basically {AA,KK,TT,99} in this spot and only if the pfr is in EP and super tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think the people behind you is the main consideration for doing this move. Not the PFR. Basically, if they won't likely call 3 cold, but will call 2.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie,
Yes of course you are right that the main consideration is the people behind you when you make these calls. It's just that if the raiser is super tight then 99/TT doesn't beat his range so you should consider calling or folding. If the pfr is loose 99 and TT are must 3-bets for obvious reasons.

On the other hand, AA/KK is always ahead of a pfr's range so if the EP raiser is tight people won't mess around if you 3-bet (so you call) but if he's loose they might cap a hand like AQ (so you should at least consider 3-betting).

When you call with a wider range of hands like this then its harder for you to be exploited. That's prolly why Miller wanted to add AKs and QQ to the mix but I'd much rather add 99/TT instead.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller\'s advanced pre flop concepts

This post reminds me of the article in one of the Poker Essays books where Malmuth addressed the question "should I limp utg with AA" He basically goes on to say that the opportunity presents itself so infrequently that it really does not matter. (which I do not necessarily agree with) Just reminded me.

Anyways, onto the question at stake; I think I have done this w/AA maybe a handful of times, once or twice with AKs, and never with anything else, except some random crap here and there.

If I do elect to do it, I make sure to throw my 2bets in ultra-fast so that the action is quickly moving and people aren't observant enough to notice what has happened. This works best at loud loose tables where people are in conversation until the action has gotten to them.

The Pros: Obviously as has been stated getting AA in a 4 way 2-bet pot is very profitable. Also, you may be fortunate enough to call 2bets and then have someone 3-bet and cap it when it comes back to you which would be optimal.

The cons: When I do cold call I get the same looks as when I open limp, observant players give me a wtf stare and fold.

Also, this will never work when you cold call a loose donator, 3-betting looks like isolation and you may get the re-isolation cap behind you or a cold call by a tag with TT or JJ and doesn't believe you.

All in all, I think if you 3-bet AA everytime you won't be giving up anything and cold calling will only require better post flop play.