Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Isle of Capri and Harrahs Lake Charles

Harrah's is gone. The hurricane hit it and they did not rebuild. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Isle is still there. They have around 25 tables that take up the entire third floor of one of the boats. All Hold 'Em. They used to have Stud, but that died.

There is a jackpot. They cap it at 80K now. In the past, it would get really high. Once it was around 350K.

Limit is just 3/6/12. But I heard a rumor that the 12 bump at the end was changed/removed. I am not sure about that. I was there a month ago, but played only NL for a couple of hours.

The NL is 1/2 and 2/5. I dunno if they have anything higher.

In the old days (two years ago) they had limit 10/20 and 20/40 and they were very juicy games. They are gone gone gone. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Coushatta is about 20 minutes away to the NE. It is a nicer room in terms of decor. But there are fewer tables. I played there just once and did well at 1/2 NL. But then again, I was lucky.

If you stay at the Isle, you might want to play some of the table games. With just some action, you might be able to get comps for your room. We used to play craps and other table games and have gotten free weekends at the Isle.

There are some cheap hotels in the area. A Holiday Inn Express on Grand Street.

Best of luck there! Write a trip report and tell us all about it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrah's is gone. The hurricane hit it and they did not rebuild. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Isle is still there. They have around 25 tables that take up the entire third floor of one of the boats. All Hold 'Em. They used to have Stud, but that died.

There is a jackpot. They cap it at 80K now. In the past, it would get really high. Once it was around 350K.

Limit is just 3/6/12. But I heard a rumor that the 12 bump at the end was changed/removed. I am not sure about that. I was there a month ago, but played only NL for a couple of hours.

The NL is 1/2 and 2/5. I dunno if they have anything higher.

In the old days (two years ago) they had limit 10/20 and 20/40 and they were very juicy games. They are gone gone gone. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Coushatta is about 20 minutes away to the NE. It is a nicer room in terms of decor. But there are fewer tables. I played there just once and did well at 1/2 NL. But then again, I was lucky.

If you stay at the Isle, you might want to play some of the table games. With just some action, you might be able to get comps for your room. We used to play craps and other table games and have gotten free weekends at the Isle.

There are some cheap hotels in the area. A Holiday Inn Express on Grand Street.

Best of luck there! Write a trip report and tell us all about it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the good info. I'm headin over there this weekend so I'll tell everybody how juicy the action was. I'll probably end up playing at both the Isle and Coushatta.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:11 PM

I was there last Saturday and played 1/2. I usually play 1/2, sometimes 5/5. My wife played 3/6/12 limit and a little 1/2 NL. I had some really unlucky hands, but nothing outrageous. Flopped nut straight and lost on turn to boat...flopped top set and lost on turn to flush. Both times the money was allin on flop. Overall, it really depends on what your table is like. I found a good table later in the night and was able to win some money back plus some. The players at 5/5 are way better than the players at 1/2. They don't have must-move 1/2 tables though, so the tables tend to break apart later and get short handed. The 5/5 tables always have a main game that will keep playing full if possible.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 AM

I just got back from the Isle. I got killed but it happens. Anyway Friday and Saturday nights they have a wicked 5/10 PLO High game, $500 min $1000 max (or 1/2 the largest stack) buyin. I hope to be rolled for that game soon, looks real juicy.

L8r.. BB
Old 08-26-2007, 11:57 AM

as crappy as the rakes are in the Houston cardrooms, I'd play in those before I drove out to Lake Chuck... I think the Isle is landmine city donkeyfest...
Old 08-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Played at Isle yesterday for 12 hours in the 5/5 NL game and I drove in from Houston. The drive in isn't bad (2 hrs) and that stretch of I-10 is as unmessed up as I've ever seen it.

I thought it might suck because the max BI is $300, but you can BI for 50% of the big stack. Stacks get big in this game quick too, I was playing in games where people had $2k+ on the table. They had like 4 games running also. Overall the game is donkish, but it is tighter than Harrahs NO's 2/5 NL. If you reraise pf, they automatically put you on AA/KK. It live poker though, typical LP stations. It's a good game and I will be going back some time in the near future. If you can beat 50nl online, then you can beat this game.

Like the 5th hand I played there: playing 6 handed in the must move game and it folds to the old guy on the BTN who limps, and the blinds check. Flop is T52r, SB pots, BB folds, and BTN makes a big raise. SB shoves and BTN snapcalls with QQ, T2o good, brunsowned. Then BTN looks at me and says "I never play trash like that," lawl.

One more: asian in EP makes it 25 pf (guy has like $5k at the table and seems to be the best player there). There are two cold callers and the BTN makes it $140 with like $150 behind. EP shoves and it folds back to BTN who instafolds AKo face up. EP shows QQ and BTN says "yeah I put you on queens," excellent fold sir.

I also won a players share of the BBJ for like 1200, sweeeeeeeeeet.