Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: what do christians say about chinese people

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody has the opportunity , whether the individual chooses to accept it is another matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't true.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW.....your post is so enlightening.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, you've made this assertion in previous threads, and I told you, flat out, that you were wrong, and asked you to support it. You can't just claim EVERYONE had the opportunity when you have absolutely no reason to know thats true.

Along a slightly different tack, I am incapable of accepting God. Am I going to burn in Hell for it? To pre-empt your first response, yes, I am sure I am incapable of it. I've tried, it didn't work. I have not the capacity.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM

tpir, that is why I apologized.

luckyme, this is the last post, promise. I really can't keep coming back to these threads. In other words, if I fail to respond it is not because I agree with you but because I don't have the time to stay on this topic.

First, I am for people defending their beliefs. What do you think I've been doing? What gets me is the people that are against religions pushing their beliefs, but fail to realize that everyone does it, including themselves. I can understand if these religious people are pointing guns at people's heads and forcing them to convert. But cmon, comparing it to the spread of AIDS. I lived in a very conservative Christian town, I made my beliefs pretty clear, and the worse thing that has happened to me were some people were bugging me to go to church every once in a while. No lynch mob, no house burning, and this was about as south as you can get. Yes, I think it is the same damn thing that atheists do. Advocating the spread of AIDS doesn't compare.In other words, you can't be against something you practice yourself, it makes you a hypocrite. So that knocks out sentences two and three, I don't have any disagreement there.

As for sentence 4, your right, atheism doesn't demand that. I am against the atheists that seem to demand that others not believe in religion. I never said a most atheists think like that, but enough do to where I have to comment. I am also against the atheists that claim they know all the answers to something that can't be disproven, same with the religious folk for things that can't be proven.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 PM

I'll start at the bottom -

[ QUOTE ]
I am also against the atheists that claim they know all the answers to something that can't be disproven, same with the religious folk for things that can't be proven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps if you just swore off the use of 'same' for a week or so it would change how you see things. To see a similarity between proving something and disproving something - they're not even in the same family nevermind 'same with.'

Perhaps you read/hear things people don't say and that raises non-existant problems for you...

We've had entire debates on here about the catholic church's role in the spread of aids because of their no-condom teaching, so when I write
[ QUOTE ]
If somebody has a belief that supports the spread of aids or....

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not, as you suggest, comparing religion to the spread of aids as you responded to--
[ QUOTE ]
I can understand if these religious people are pointing guns at people's heads and forcing them to convert. But cmon, comparing it to the spread of AIDS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am stating that following the beliefs taught by the church "SUPPORTS" the spread of aids and trying to convince people to be realists about the world would be assist in individuals, groups and governments making better choices.

If you've misread other forums in the same way you've done here ...

luckyme
Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was a question asked (sort of), which I answered with a satifactory Biblical answer. You then came back & made an uncalled for snide remark. So, once again, who's being distasteful??

[/ QUOTE ]
I apologize for using the word pussy. The verses you pointed out are very nice and flowery when compared to the blood and guts versions that occur earlier in the Bible. That is all. At no point did I say that all Christians are pussies (or anything for that matter).

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, during the times of the Amorites, Hittites, etc there were prophets of the Old Testament preaching the gospel. They had their chance. The Chinese people are being witnessed to in today's times same as the Indians in India. So they are having their chance now. Everybody has the opportunity, whether the individual chooses to accept it is another matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
They did? Put yourself in the shoes of the Amorites for a second, how could they possibly discern between the "true" Christian prophets and all of the other people who claimed to know what was going on at the time? Seems like a big confusing mess that an all-knowing God would be understanding of, no? Also, what good is a chance if God already knows we won't take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, I restate that they had the opportunity. Just as we today have the opportunity. I did not say they were forced to take it, just that the Word was presented to them. It is up to each person to decide for themselves. The Bible says there will be false prophets, always has been, always will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Chinese people are being witnessed to NOW. That is your response? That doesn't bother you? Quick question, how many dead Chinese people are there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick question, how many dead Chinese of those dead Chinese people are in "hell"?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 PM

luckyme already said it all but I wanted to highlight this:

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you read/hear things people don't say and that raises non-existant problems for you...

[/ QUOTE ]
because it appears to fit. You seem to misunderstand the opposite side of the argument by quite a large margin.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quick question, how many dead Chinese of those dead Chinese people are in "hell"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Zero. I will let others elaborate.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Ahh dammit lucky me. I really can't stop posting until you stop twisting what I said.

"Perhaps if you just swore off the use of 'same' for a week or so it would change how you see things. To see a similarity between proving something and disproving something - they're not even in the same family nevermind 'same with.'"

I never compared the two. I never said they were the same. I just added that extra comment, it didn't relate to anything you said. Who is misreading who? I made it very clear that I think that both sides push their beliefs. Thats all.

When you mentioned children, I assume you are talking about the Church's scandal. I can assure you that most Catholics would agree that what they did was wrong. I don't how a conflict can arise from atheist vs catholic there, and I don't see any Catholics pushing the belief that child molestation is right. Of course, these men would have done it even if they weren't in the clergy, so I don't see what religion has to do with this or why it was even brought up. Since child molestation is not a belief of the Catholic church, it has no relevance to what I was talking about.

"We've had entire debates on here about the catholic church's role in the spread of aids because of their no-condom teaching, so when I write I am not, as you suggest, comparing religion to the spread of aids as you responded to--"

How was I supposed to pick that up? You mentioned that
statement right after you disagreed with my view that an atheist and a christian defending/pushing their belief is the same thing. If that is what you meant, it was very vague the way your worded it. So, when you type right after "If someone supports the spread of Aids", it sounds like you are saying "if someone has a belief that is insane, how is me being against it the same thing?" . I agree with the issues you said, but I think that was a little different then what I was talking about. Again, I was talking specifically about certain atheists that push the belief that people should not believe in religion or that religion is evil. I consider this the same thing as religions that push their beliefs about God on others. I was talking about the general beliefs presented in the last paragraph of my post. I was talking about influencing people to become christians vs influencing people to become atheists. I should have made it more clear, but I mentioned this in other posts and later on the post you commented on. Certain positions on issues are a little different, and obviously aren't all the same thing.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:36 PM

Tpir, I made it clear that I apoligized for misreading you, and right after you still claimed that I am misunderstading you, in present tense, as if I was still doing it, even after apologizing. Is that not a mis-read? I posted before I could back track all the messages, and I somehow thought it was you that posted the "God is not Great" book, or thought that you posted an agreement with the book. Perhaps I should have backtracked before posting, but my response was mostly a response to the ideas presented in the book I thought you agreed with. Again, it was my mistake, but I don't think my mistake should be brought up in relevance to luckyme. Clearly, luckyme misread me as well, since I wasn't talking about religious people stance on certain issues, nor hinted about it. I was talking abou the belief in religion vs the disbelief in God, and how both sides forcing that belief is the same thing.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tpir, I made it clear that I apoligized for misreading you, and right after you still claimed that I am misunderstading you, in present tense, as if I was still doing it, even after apologizing. Is that not a mis-read? I posted before I could back track all the messages, and I somehow thought it was you that posted the "God is not Great" book, or thought that you posted an agreement with the book. Perhaps I should have backtracked before posting, but my response was mostly a response to the ideas presented in the book I thought you agreed with. Again, it was my mistake, but I don't think my mistake should be brought up in relevance to luckyme. Clearly, luckyme misread me as well, since I wasn't talking about religious people stance on certain issues, nor hinted about it. I was talking abou the belief in religion vs the disbelief in God, and how both sides forcing that belief is the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
You and I understand each other fine, but you seem to misunderstand atheism. Here is a hint: non-believers don't have any beliefs to force on people.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:06 PM

I think I understand atheism fine. It is the disbelief in God. This does not mean that a group of people in this category don't share some common beliefs. Believing that religion will solve most of the world's ills is a belief, and an unproven one. Beleiving that religion corrupts everything is a belief. These are beliefs supported by certain atheists, beliefs that are pushed by certain atheists. So, if a Christian is telling me I should believe in God, and a person (doesn't have to be an atheist) is telling me religion is evil, I consider these beliefs held by others used to get me on their side. I consider the two no better or worse then each other.