Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Cheap things you buy even though you can afford expensive ones.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, higher priced sunglasses tend to protect your eyes better (Polarized, UV protection, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I call BS on this. $15 sunglasses from any gas station are going to have UV protection that is as good as expensive sunglasses. 100% UV protection is pretty much standard at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

TNM--

Please stop refuting my weak attempts to justify my expensive purchases. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obv. answer is beer.

I can enjoy a bud or miller as much as a fine ale.

[/ QUOTE ]
Worst answer ever.

I never buy name brand bottled water or drugs.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw an ad at a store that said something like:

"You don't buy the cheapest watch or the cheapest car. Why use a cheap pen." It was a display for some $100 pen.

I think the answer for lots of us would be pens. No one I work with ever uses $100 pens. Then again, we get free pens at work, and people constantly lose them. So why not use the cheap (or free) pens?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I have several pens that cost well over $100. Are they worth it? I draw for a living so they are worth it to me. There is just something about the weight, the nib, and the ink flow of a fine pen that make drawing more enjoyable. A few, like my original duofold I could probably sell for a small profit but probably never will.

For me it has to be underwear. My Old Navy boxers work jsut fine. Even better if they are on sale.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obv. answer is beer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worst answer ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on. You beer snobs are too full of yourselves. Even casper has a few cans of Lite in his beer fridge (I do realize that they're for Benny, casper). I have yet to find a beer that has zero merit. A few are much better than most, but generally a beer's a beer and it's all good (Hamms not withstanding).

Cigars would have been a bad answer. I am a cigar snob. But beer, naw... I've never refused any beer that's been handed to me because of its brand or price.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, higher priced sunglasses tend to protect your eyes better (Polarized, UV protection, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I call BS on this. $15 sunglasses from any gas station are going to have UV protection that is as good as expensive sunglasses. 100% UV protection is pretty much standard at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

The good manufacturers spend considerable money designing the right filter profile for their sunglasses. They all block UV light but they also block different amounts of the different wavelengths of visible and infrared light to make your eyes the most comfortable and see the clearest.

Now is the cost worth it? I think so, but both of my eyes have had phsyical trauma in the past, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

BTW, I always go with a company that their primary business is sunglasses like Ray Ban, Revo, and Oakley. None of that Chanel/Prada crap for me.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Obv. answer is beer.

Worst answer ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on. You beer snobs are too full of yourselves. Even casper has a few cans of Lite in his beer fridge (I do realize that they're for Benny, casper). I have yet to find a beer that has zero merit. A few are much better than most, but generally a beer's a beer and it's all good (Hamms not withstanding).

Cigars would have been a bad answer. I am a cigar snob. But beer, naw... I've never refused any beer that's been handed to me because of its brand or price.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between drinking a free crappy beer that was given to you and spending your own money on crappy beer.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had a light beer that was worth drinking. Since I live in Budweiserland all I see at the parties is Bud Light and Bud Select. I would rather not drink than have those. They usually buy me a case of Budweiser since that's somewhat drinkable. I usually resort to the box wine when the beer selection sucks, and for a wine snob like me that's saying a lot. And that's the reason I drink Dewars mostly while in Vegas, although some properties carry things like Sierra Nevada now, which is nice.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 PM

as far as beers go, there is a place for most beers depending on the situation, I tend to pick my beers on what Im doing while drinking, or eating, sometimes there is nothing better than a budlight while floating down the river on an innertube, or a bud with some [censored] pizzahut during a football game, and generally I dont like bud products, but the taste/mind connection from when I first started drinking is just too hard to overcome.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:41 PM

OP,

My main ones have been mentioned already:

Watches
Sunglasses
Car
Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never had a light beer that was worth drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've never had a Sam Adams Light? >>>>>>Bud Light/Miller Lite etc. Doesn't have that watered-down taste at all. Really good imo.