Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:16 PM

Default 10/20 WSEX Turn semi bluff raise multiway

My image is very strong, I have been playing aggressively and showing down good hands. BB in hand is a bad player and his pf and flop call could be with a wide range of hands including lots of garbage. MP is a mediocre thinking player and has some respect for my game.

Folds to MP who opens, I 3 bet QcJc on the button, sb folds and the BB calls

Flop 9 5 2 rainbow with 1 club.

BB checks, MP bets, I call, BB calls.

Turn 8 completing the rainbow.

BB checks, MP bets, I raise.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: 10/20 WSEX Turn semi bluff raise multiway

I dont like it because I dont play any good hands this way. Also, MP is showing quite a bit of strength by leading into the pf 3 bettor. It looks like he intends to showdown.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah, this is no good. It smells like this could be 999 from MP, just hoping you raise to get the most value, or some other smallish pp (much more likely) that just wants protection and is never folding.

Also, as nina says, you aint repping [censored].
Old 08-23-2007, 01:34 PM

Not too crazy about pf either. If BB is loose enough to call 2 bets preflop with any regularity, this is no good. If MP is anything other than weak/tight mediocre, then I don't like it.

IF your image is good, like you say, that certainly works to your advantage....
Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM

I make this play preflop on occasion. But when I do it, I'm in the SB, 3betting a button steal. This preflop play is too frisky for my taste.

Postflop isn't so hot because MP wouldn't just donk this flop with AQ. I mean, he could, but probably not. When he bets the turn, you figure he's got a pair. The times when this semibluff play works is when it's heads up and you figure your opponents for overcards. It's difficult to pull off because when your villain calls the turn raise, you will have to bluff a blank card on the river. In this hand, we have good reason to believe that villain has a pair, so we have to push him off that hand with a raise, which I don't think works often enough.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:18 PM

People will donk very liberally on wsex. He is not donking 999 or 555 b/c if he had those hands he would want the bb to come a long drawing near dead as I would raise this flop with a wide range of hands to shut out the bb in the now large pot.

With him donking he puts maximum pressure on me to fold the flop by forcing me to act with another player albeit bad player to act.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like it because I dont play any good hands this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play in games where you must mix up your strategy?

[ QUOTE ]
The times when this semibluff play works is when it's heads up and you figure your opponents for overcards

[/ QUOTE ]

The very fact it was not heads up was my final decision on deciding to semi bluff. If I were to raise this turn hu I would expect to get called by ace high and any pair every time. The fact that the turn was 3 way gave me the reason to bluff. With his bet and my raise into the other guy shows a hand of true strength, I know the first guy does not have a very strong hand and would fold anything weaker than a decent 9 to the raise. The raise should get the donker to fold any ace and perhaps even some 9s and all lower non set pps.