View Poll Results: jcmoussa....
BASTARD 7 100.00%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Golf Format Q + poles

[ QUOTE ]
Phil sucks a fat [censored] fo sho

[/ QUOTE ]
Goddamn I just realized I don't mod this forum. Never mind then, carry on Bitcho.

EDIT: and not that anyone should care, but I didn't vote in this pole to inflate my argument, was curious what others thought.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:39 AM

Tit,

I just read the thing and it would be completely retarded to play the singles match in the afternoon.

Get the serious bizz outta the way, then have some fun/get drunk in the scramble.

And for the first one, you sort of worded it so we had to choose, A.

I would go but I would make sure I wasn't getting ripped off. How I went about doing that would depend on my relationship with the dude who's running it.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read the thing and it would be completely retarded to play the singles match in the afternoon.

Get the serious bizz outta the way, then have some fun/get drunk in the scramble.

[/ QUOTE ]
See, EXACTLY. This was my point. I liked to get hyped up and grind through the morning match, then the afternoon it was me and my three teammates having fun and rooting for each other.

The other flaws with the PM match thing is that matches are likely to end before 18, whereas with the scramble thing you play all the way through before comparing cards, and that the point imbalance that slightly favored the afternoon round now favors the morning round. Retarded. Although the guy who is insistent about this is also a good friend and my teammate in most tournaments, so no bonus hate towards him.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 AM

To me it just sounds like a guy or two who have little clue as to what they are doing trying to be important and tell everybody what to do and how much to pay etc.

These kind of trips should be simplistic, figure out some sort of fun, simple, and fair game. Very little initial cost so nobody feels bad about blowing money on getting bombed later. And just freakin' have fun. With all the rules and issues described, it doesn't seem like anyone would have much fun. And if you're not going to have fun, then why fork over good money to go?

BO
Old 08-23-2007, 08:45 AM

qut,

For a fun guy's weekend, singles matches are dumb, period.

As far as the pricing goes, I'd pay it AND question it in front of the group. Organizer should not profit from this, it's just bad form. Now if he can finagle himself a free round from the courses for himself, then all the power to him. That should be his angle, not having his 'friends' pay his way.

I'm actually qualified to make these statements since I have run a 16-guy golf weekend for the last 10 years (we leave tonight, whoooohoooooo!). Making all the arrangements and getting all the money really sucks balls. May sound easy, but until you do it yourself, you have no idea.
I usually negotiate a buy-15-get-1-free deal with the courses. This year, we play 4 rounds, I only have to pay for 1.

I'm very up front with my guys about all the other costs due to the possible appearance of shenanigans like you are experiencing. It's just not worth it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have run a 16-guy golf weekend for the last 10 years (we leave tonight, whoooohoooooo!). Making all the arrangements and getting all the money really sucks balls.

[/ QUOTE ]
As if perfectly on cue, two of my guys just called to back out. One broke his hand, and the other only knew the broken hand guy.

So now my count drops to 14, I call the courses to update the tee times and one revokes my free golf. They even tried sticking me with the cost, since it was within 72 hours. I had none of that! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I'd like to refund their lodging deposit, but then I'd either eat that cost, or I'd have to convince the other 13 to dish out more $. Two not so fun options. Keeping the deposit is something I may have to do, but I don't want to if it's avoidable...

So basically, cut the organizer some slack, but don't let him screw you either.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 AM

I have put together outings. I was president of a golf club without real estate for three years. All costs should be made public prior to the outing. If the organizer is looking to make a profit that is shameful. If he is crediting himself a break on the price for his efforts that may be fine with me...if he is dependable and puts on a good event. I would not cancel though. I would demand to see a breakdown of costs and if there is extra money let's put it toward the dinner. We are all friends right?

As for the format, singles in the afternoon would bite. The format should be decided by committee.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 AM

I answered "no" to the first question, but that doesn't mean I'd pay it without getting some sort of justification from him.

I answered the new format in the second question, but that's only because I have always liked playing singles matches. I really should have answered the first option, since that's obviously the more "fun" one, which is what you were getting at.

-McGee
Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 AM

1st Q: No. I've never organized this kind of outing, but I would be very, very loathe to cancel without some kind of injury, death in the family, etc. It's not just the organizer but you're also kind of screwing 22 other guys. FWIW, if the organizer is any kind of organizer, he has a couple of alternates lined up.

2nd Q: Original. We played a lot of too-serious, grinding golf on my recent 8-man trip and it did take some of the "fun" away. So I'd prefer getting the match play stuff out of the way in the morning. I don't really like scramble formats, but hey, I'd go along with it for the sake of the group.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. Much appreciated.

Just want to point out again that backing out is a HUGE foul in our group, only something like an injury like dcasper cited is an acceptable excuse. That's why I initially canceled a couple of weeks ago, to give them ample time to backfill my spot. When the group e-mail was sent out the original format was said to be the one we'd be playing, so when I jumped back on board last Friday I thought that's what it would be.

Anyway, this thread probably wouldn't exist but for sheer annoyance about the price point. The format change itself is not remotely thread-worthy but I still wanted to hear what people think. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks an afternoon singles match isn't the optimal idea.

Finally, there is an industry-related scramble on Saturday that I was going to miss in order to play in this so it's better I just play in that.