Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: What would you do if you didn\'t need money?

I'm not sure. I'm not in this specific situation but I still have enough money to live for like 10 years if I wanted to without working another day, so I've been thinking about this quite a bit and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Right now I just play more poker to get more money which means very little to me in my day-to-day life atm. When I'm not doing that I just hang out with friends and family a lot.

Wish I had a better answer
Old 08-23-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 AM

Walk the earth..like Jewels in Pulp Fiction

GS
Old 08-23-2007, 11:09 AM

Winters would be spent in the mountains skiing most of the time. I would have a large studio/shop where I could do some woodworking, sculpture, and photography. I would have a beach house somewhere for the wife and daughter. In the warmer months I would bike, hike, and golf. And I would travel a lot.

I would probaby try to start my own distillery and produce some fantastic gin or something like that.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is exactly what I would do....

[image]image deleted[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok and then what would you do there? Fish for 50 hours a week? Read books all day for 20 years? Meditate full time?

I know to people who aren't sitting at that house in front of the water, it looks very alluring, but if you were actually there and had nothing at all to do with your days, I highly doubt anybody smart enough to make that much money at an early age would feel comfortable sitting around watching grass grow for the rest of their life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but I'm gonna guess you could do that with a LOT less than $5 million.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok and then what would you do there? Fish for 50 hours a week? Read books all day for 20 years? Meditate full time?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok fair enough...

First off: yes, yes, and yes to your questions. I love to fish, love to read, and would love to be able to spend more time examining and practicing zen buddism. I'd travel to places like Egypt, Macchu Picchu, Greece, but a place like this would be the home I'd always want to come back to.

I would pick up classical guitar again and really devote time to music. That was my major in college and though I was never good enough to do it professionally, it gave me great enjoyment.

I like working with my hands and would love to practice traditional Japaneese woodcrafting and carpentry.

Spend time with the love of my life and examine our spirituality and consciousness. Spending time with her is bliss.

Collect good scotches.
Spend time cooking and eating good food. Creole, Oriental, Greek.
Study Archeology.
Work out to enjoy my body, not to hit a weight goal.
Research my family tree.
Be there for my kids.

to start with..
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM

I would travel a lot and become a photographer/painter.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Recreation, travel, relaxing, enjoying hobbies of personal interests is all great. Yes I would be doing these things just like others have already mentioned in their replies.

We should all consider helping out with some type of charity or ogranizations.

Whatever happened to helping and giving something back to society? If your rich and in your example there is no need to work because of the investment income, we have plenty of time to pursue our dreams and enjoyment, and help society.

To help us feel like we are actually serving a purpose in life, I would think most of us need to do something worthwhile rather than just sit on a beach in the carribean smoking cigars and drinking cognac. Believe me, I would be doing the same and am all for it. But I would also be donating my time to society by helping with charities or organizations.

My time would be to help with autism. And some money would be donated each year, of course.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:39 PM

i'd teach chemistry for a few months out of the year either organic in college or really really interested/advanced HS students...the rest of the year I'd live in different countries, travel and try and get into a lot of outdoor activities in random places (i.e. snowboarding/skiing, biking, etc)

If we are talking money in the billions: I'd probably give a [censored] ton of money to different science projects that i thought had promise.

I'd also buy a few airlines that made my life hell and burn them to the ground.

Maybe a few other ideas like this last one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 01:44 PM

wow i'm surprised hardly anyone would continue poker related activities i.e. business / entrepreneurship, trading / investing, chess, sports management, etc etc .

you guys really all play poker for purely the money and wouldn't want similar themes of competition and information-edges to be present in your future lives?

imo, online poker is just not very glamorous, but otherwise i don't know how i could ever live w/o the 12hr per day intellectual stimulation of "processing information better than others", whatever the pursuit may be called.