Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: I like Americans

I lived in Germany for a year, and I still like Germans. It's a pity how little national pride they have (although understandable). They're good people. And Katy is right; the men can be very good-looking.

Not intending to hijack the thread, I just wanted to mention that quite a few Americans dislike being called "yanks." Especially those of us from the South, where the Civil War is still occasionally referred to as the War of Northern Aggression.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: I like Americans

Since this thread is about liking Americans i thought i`d share this:

About 20 years ago i was in a part of Paris i was unfamiliar with, it was a Sunday evening and i`d been trying to find a cigarette vending machine without any luck for about an hour.
I heard him before i saw him, loud, banging on about how small everything was. As he came into view i saw he was opening a fresh pack of cigarettes so i approached and asked, in a clear precise tone, using the Queens English, where he bought his cigarettes as i couldn`t find a machine anywhere.

He shouted: "what?, what? I`m sorry. I only speak English"

I repeated myself, he repeated himself and said he was from... i cant remember where he said he was from.
- i was struck dumb. He gawped at me for a moment and then left, complaining loudly about the queue he was about to join.
Cant fault the guys taste in music however, as we were both there for The Cure concert

That makes me laugh every time i remember it.

God bless Americans