Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 05:52 PM

Default 88 live hand

4/8 at the peppermill reno

Hero has 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the big blind
A moderately aggressive male player opens in UTG+1
A woman with less than 3 big bets coldcalls

Hero calls in the BB

Flop Q 7 5 rainbow
What's hero's first action and plan?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: 88 live hand

I'd check and usually call or raise.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 PM

I'd check planning to c/r
Old 08-22-2007, 08:05 PM

OK, so what I did was bet and they both called.
Explain the checkraise - would I be doing this for pure value or is it a sort of "two way raise"?

The turn is a 4
I bet again they both call (the woman has $2 left now)

River is a 2, no flush possible
Bet/fold
check/fold or
check/call
Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 PM

donking out is not preferable, you're out of position and the other folks haven't really defined their hands yet, so a sample line often goes you bet, call call, you bet turn and get raised, and what do you do? if you check and see what happens it's more optimal imo and ime.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Interesting... I would have assumed that you had a slight equity advanage over the PFR's range on this flop. I stoved it asuming (since he's a little laggy) that he will raise 15% of hands UTG. Even on this flop your equity is still only 46%.

That said I would probably still go for the c/r here becase it will allw you to define the hand. Against most players if the PFR just cals you are likely ahead; if he 3-bets you are likely behind. The c/r allows you to know where you stand and act accordingly.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Explain the checkraise - would I be doing this for pure value or is it a sort of "two way raise"?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) The moderately aggressive man is highly likely to bet any two cards, but will not likely raise any two cards.

2) If the woman raises, you have an easy fold.

3) If the woman calls, you have an interesting decision based on what you think the woman will call with (check-raising both players for value isn't out of line here if she'll auto-peel the flop).

4) Alternatively, if the woman calls, you can just call and see what the turn brings, at which point donking becomes a much better option (as now both players will not likely auto-peel and are more likely to fold).

5) If the woman folds, you can check-raise for value because the man's hand range consists mostly of non-pair hands.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) The moderately aggressive man is highly likely to bet any two cards, but will not likely raise any two cards.

3) If the woman calls, you have an interesting decision based on what you think the woman will call with (check-raising both players for value isn't out of line here if she'll auto-peel the flop).

4) Alternatively, if the woman calls, you can just call and see what the turn brings, at which point donking becomes a much better option (as now both players will not likely auto-peel and are more likely to fold).

5) If the woman folds, you can check-raise for value because the man's hand range consists mostly of non-pair hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

All true except that she has < 3BB left.

At least on line I would be inclined to ignore the woman as she is likely to be stacking off and even when she's not you may win a larger side pot from the PFR.

I don't have nough live experience to know whether the same holds true here but I would think it does.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All true except that she has < 3BB left.

At least on line I would be inclined to ignore the woman as she is likely to be stacking off and even when she's not you may win a larger side pot from the PFR.

I don't have nough live experience to know whether the same holds true here but I would think it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that she just called preflop, she's not automatically stacking off with A-high here. She is most likely looking to the flop to help her before she does that (if at all). So if she's raising here, it's probably because she has a queen since there aren't many realistic draws.

Also, while her stack is small, she has enough that I don't think she'll stack off. Usually people don't do something desperate until they have ~1 BB left (so they'll raise all-in preflop or put it all in on the flop with some sort of weak draw).