Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You missed an option
BASTARD 10 100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2007, 08:26 PM

Default How do you play this hand?

you're delt J4 on the button. No raising pre-flop. 3 players to the flop (all about even stacked).

flop is J J x.

first player raises 70% of the pot. Big blind pushes all in. What do you do?

I think this decision is impossibly tough because the first player raised. It would still be a tough decision had the first player not raised but it becomes infinitely tougher....

*to clarify (not that it really matters in my opinion) but the x card is greater than 4 but less than 10)
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: How do you play this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
you're delt J4 on the button. No raising pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Misplayed TPo4 already.... sigh

[ QUOTE ]
flop is J J x.

first player raises 70% of the pot. Big blind pushes all in. What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I wonder how the opener managed to "raise"

[ QUOTE ]
I think this decision is impossibly tough because the first player raised. It would still be a tough decision had the first player not raised but it becomes infinitely tougher....

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the decision has been made rather simple. Call or fold.

I'm assuming that the SB opened for 70% of the pot, the BB pushed, and it's up to you?

We need to know a LOT more about the players involved in order to make any kind of decision.

[ QUOTE ]
(not that it really matters in my opinion) but the x card is greater than 4 but less than 10)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a HUGE difference between 5-7 and 8-T here... so you'd be wrong.

If you didn't play for that kind of flop, why did you play the hand? I'm calling/pushing here. Of course, I WOULD have raised PF in the first place.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:57 PM

sorry semantics there. opener bet *duh

So you would raise everytime with J4 in that situation late position? Damn man...OK assuming that is the right move (very questionable) but for argument sake..

YES the decision is definently call or fold (note all 3 of you are even stacked)
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 PM

Also are you forgetting that you are NOT pot-committed in any way up to that point.

not to mention you don't have a definite read on what either of these players are up to.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 PM

Why is this in Home Poker? Post it in the strats forum and you'll get better responses (hint: fold isn't even an option).
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 PM

You're new here, so some fair advice is warranted. I actually think the Mods should keep this here, because it's more of a beginner question and a home-game decision than a poker question for the multitablers over in Mid/Small Stakes.

We need tons more information to answer this. What are the stack sizes and blinds? What are the payouts here, and how many players out of how many started? Reads on the other two involved? And, whats the value of X? If X is T, 9, or 8, that brings draws into the equation.

If there's no raise preflop, and this is a homegame, the logical assumption is that the pot is 3xBB and the initial player led out for 2xBB. In other words, blinds at 50-100, pot is 300, first guy bet 200. This in and of itself isn't all that relevant, but the next guys bet size IS. Depending on the answers to the above questions, it may actually be possible to fold here, but we don't know.

What I would say is that you shouldn't be open-limping J4 in tournaments.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you would raise everytime with J4 in that situation late position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, sometimes I'd slowplay my monster Power of Four to try to suck people in... but only if they don't know me.

[ QUOTE ]
Damn man...OK assuming that is the right move (very questionable) but for argument sake..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ban, please :P

Also, you missed the point I was making about the simplicity of the decision, as opposed to a non-push scenario.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I would say is that noobs shouldn't be open-limping J4 in tournaments, when they don't grasp the awesome might of The Power of 4

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 PM

Guys, considering how many regulars on this forum dole out advice and then stack off ungodly amounts of money, I think the unneccessary abuse to beginners, and calls for banning, should cease. The guy is a new player and likely only plays home games, and he can learn more from being here, it doens't take much to try and help.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, considering how many regulars on this forum dole out advice and then stack off ungodly amounts of money, I think the unneccessary abuse to beginners, and calls for banning, should cease. The guy is a new player and likely only plays home games, and he can learn more from being here, it doens't take much to try and help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that we don't need to ridicule him but we do need to point him to the right forum and Home Poker aint it. Even if this was a home game, etc, this is a strict strategy post and we have plenty of forums here for those. Note he also cross posted in Tournament Circuit so who knows where this actually took place.

I'd recommend he start out in the beginners forum and then see what's up with this site.